Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday Miscellany






Well, it's all over for another year, except the reflecting.  This year's Women of Wisdom have been beautifully honored.  Someone estimated that more than 75 local women have now received the distinction since the program's beginning in 1999. 

Virginia Wood, Maribeth Lynch (center in second photo), Barb Merritt (right in third photo), Margo Johnson and Bernice Lewis (seated in bottom photo) shed a few tears Saturday while being showered with accolades about their lives of achievement. 

More photos can be found on my Facebook wall, if you're a Facebook member.  

Now, we move on to summer----oops, now we wish we could move on to summer.  This morning, while walking on yet another wet, gloomy day, I thought about the words to the classic "Summer Time."

Of course, I changed them a bit:

Summer time and the weather is crappy
Fish are jumpin' but the water's too high.

I don't really care about rich daddies or good lookin' moms, so that's all the further I went while grouching one more day about the weather.  

One of my friends was apologizing, suggesting she caused it cuz she got her summer clothes out a few weeks ago and put her winter clothes away.

I'm not apologizing, just doing my usual griping.  Told Bill this morning I'm tired of wet toes and equally tired of forcing my winter boots on my feet to avoid wet toes.

Once again, a weather forecast,  originally showing a bunch of nice weather for this week has suddenly been modified a bit. 

Okay, enough of that complaining, except to say that we sure haven't had any sense of "long" days.

We did drive through the rain last evening to enjoy a wonderful Father's Day dinner of prime rib and the trimmings at Western Pleasure. 

Mrs. Yeck, whose culinary brilliance and renown goes back to the days of the Garden Restaurant, prepared the meal. 

Delightful, as was the visiting.

Tonight I'm gonna do a bit of home cooking and broil those asparagus spears from the garden. 

I'll probably pick a bunch of rain-soaked lettuce and put together a salad to go with some chicken breasts floating in---no not water---but barbecue sauce.  

We also have some Mennonite bread, so that should top it off. 

The week's schedule is looking fairly uncluttered.  

My sisters are doing the countdown toward a very special day Friday, and I think they're going to let me participate.  

So, I'll just keep it a secret and hope to post some photos of this special day on Saturday.

We're all very excited for them. 

Bill is getting ready to head off to work.  Debbie or Willie will soon be here with the pups.  

Willie's summer away from the classroom has begun, but this week he's working at a basketball camp for little guys---grades 2-7, I believe. 

He spent the weekend traveling to Spokane for some basketball scrimmaging with his JV players and will go to a basketball camp at EWU sometime soon.  

Another example of those teachers who work six hours a day, nine months out of the year and then just sit around all summer. 

They sure have kept up that routine for a long, long time cuz I've heard that mythological complaint about teachers virtually all my life. 

So long!

That's what Bill just said, so I'll say it too.

So long!  Happy Monday. 

No comments: