Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday Slight


It's one of those "gotta get gussied up" days.  I'm not a gussier in any way, shape or form, but certain occasions call for putting the jeans aside and attempting to look a little more respectable.

Today is the annual Women of Wisdom (WOW) luncheon, a lovely and lively affair set in the Tango Cafe at the downtown Panhandle State Bank.  

Five more women will receive accolades and very special attention at today's gala.  

This year Barbara Merritt, Mari Beth Lynch, Margo Johnson, Bernice Lewis and Virginia Wood will sit in the throne-like chair as the rest of the audience gets a glimpse of their lives and contributions to the community.

My candidate for WOW this year was Virginia Wood.  My friend Helen (are ya listening up there in Alaska, Helen?), some of Virginia's family members and I wrote letters of nomination for her.  

We're thrilled with her selection, and I'm sure her adoring family is too.

I've known Virginia most of my life, and I like to say she's lived a "Little House on the Prairie" existence.  

She has captured a special place in my heart, not only because of her graciousness, humility and shining example as a matriarch but also because she attended a one-room school at Gold Creek, where our grandmother taught.

Iva Tibbs had Virginia Hoffine as a student for four years.  During that time Jim Wood and his family came along from Colorado.  The two met and later married; they've been hubby and wife for 64 years.  

Their kids are deeply involved in the community and outstanding, respected citizens and wonderful people themselves.  

For those and many other reasons, I'm gonna love watching Virginia and her family enjoy this most deserving honor today.  

Debbie will arrive here about 9:30, and, in our "guzzied up" attire, we'll head down to the luncheon for meeting, greeting, eating and picture taking. 

Later today,  my niece Laura, the triplets and her friend Cookie with her two children will come out to the Lovestead for Cookie's induction into the Lodgepole Society.

We met Cookie last night while visiting with Laura at the Thompson cabin.  Nice lady.

I feel almost like I'm going to Confession this morning to admit that ONE MORE TIME I ate at the Cafe 95 last night.  

After helping with today's luncheon set-up, Debbie and I had already driven across the lake to visit with Laura.  We hadn't eaten, and Cafe 95 was within blocks of our visit.  

So, after leaving Laura, we pointed the car directly toward the restaurant.  Last night we both enjoyed breakfast for dinner.  

I'm telling you that bacon and cheese omelet was "melt-in-your-mouth" heavenly.  

And, Junior, the chef, makes biscuits from scratch.  My biscuit was huge and fluffy, about two inches high.

I'm sure those nice folks are starting to think we're gonna come every day, but that is certainly not in the plans.  Circumstances just landed that way.  

But the cafe has definitely found a spot as one of our favorite places to eat. 

As I look back on this busy week, I'm proud to say that little Foster has just about mastered "life off the leash" at the Lovestead.  

My main concerns are that his small size can work against him when it comes to cars rolling in the driveway and the fact that he could be running full speed ahead and accidentally go under the fence into the barnyard with the horses. 

I think he has gained a healthy respect for Lily and Lefty.  Each morning he has trotted along with me to the barn and each day has been counseled to "stay" at the barn as I lead the horses to pasture.

His feline friend Jonas has helped in that lesson, keeping him occupied, but I'm feeling confident now that Foster knows the rules and will abide by them.

There's no better feeling of accomplishment than closing the pasture gate for the second horse, looking down the lane toward the little guy standing there and letting him know that he can now come.

Once cued, he bolts down that lane like a rocket toward my waiting arms. 

He's been off the leash about 90 percent of each day,  and I'm finally to the point where my heart isn't in my mouth every time Foster disappears from sight. 

It's also been a week of progress for the garden, which is coming back to life.  Plus, my Lefty now has almost all of his rubbed-out hair patches filled in with hair.  

Maybe next week when I take him over to Barbara and Laurie's for some arena work, he'll look halfway respectable. 

Life is good with some hints of long-awaited summer and all the visiting and activities that go with it. 

Happy Saturday to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Virginia - a well deserved honor for a wonderful lady!

Gorgeous day here in Homer, AK! Sunshine and a promise to be in the 50's which makes just about a perfect day here at the end of the road!