Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bits and Pieces



This emptiness next to the beauty of Lake Pend Oreille seems like an odd sight for July 17, but it was for real yesterday afternoon. 

Foster and I stopped and walked around for a few minutes at the Trestle Creek recreation area east of Sandpoint.

During our time there, I saw only one other car, parked in the shade.   The only people were Army Corps of Engineers workers,  cutting down bushes along the driveway into the area. 

I guess this is what erratic weather does to North Idaho swimmers and picnickers.  

My cousin, who lives in Phoenix, once told me that in her area you can plan a picnic months in advance with certainty that the weather won't get in the way.

I'm sure those folks down south don't plan too many summer picnics, but it would be nice to be that certain when an outdoor event is planned.

This past weekend serves as an example.  Not too many locals---recreationalists or farmers---figured on drenching rains and wild storms. 

Today is starting to look like a good one, but we all know the term "wait 15 minutes." 

In case the morning readers have not reviewed yesterday's posting, I did learn later in the day that the next projected date for the Byway opening is Friday, July 27.  

My source told me, however, that earlier information from the folks in the know had suggested July 9.  That date, of course,  has come and gone.  

So, let's wrap our arms around the newest prediction and hope it comes true. 

Last night Bill and I attended a Friends and Family dinner at The Bridge.  In discussions that took place at our table, I learned about Carden Schools and Seven Sisters Catering Co.

Cynthia Nielsen introduced me to the Carden concept.  She opened the Sandpoint Carden Academy a few years back and closed her school after being recruited to teach at another Carden academy in California.

I was impressed with the general philosophy, which calls for a disciplined approach along with individualized learning.   According to one website:   The Carden Curriculum concerns itself with the development of the whole child. 

It is highly individualized in its approach. There are continual challenges and stimulation without boredom or bewilderment. 

The Carden Curriculum provides strong academic training and offers continuity from grade to grade. It provides for the development of the student, and awakens students to ethical and social values.

The Carden curriculum stresses a cultural program, giving pupils experience in art, music, drama, and the French language.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.  Public school or private, I wish we could all agree on the importance of sensible discipline, consistency and creativity in education.  
It was fun visiting with Cynthia, and I'd love to learn more about her teaching experiences.

Leanna Paulsen-Kittleson also sat at our table of mothers and their families.   Leanna lives out here in Selle.  I've really enjoyed getting to know her over the past couple of years.

We have many common interests and vow that one of these days we'll get together, saddle up our horses and go for a ride.

Leanna has just re-opened her catering enterprise:  Seven Sisters Catering Co., featuring  creative catering and a private chef.

When I asked her what her favorite dish was, she immediately replied:  Halibut Charmoula.  That would be halibut topped off with Charmoula sauce, a Moroccan favorite.

When she mentioned the combination of lemon, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, etc., her listeners were licking their lips.

Leanna's menu sampler also includes smokey chicken on endive with herbs, lamb shank osso buco with herbed polenta, almond baklava, carmelized apple and marzipan tart, to name a few. 

She states in her brochure that "local products are a priority in my cooking.  I support our local growers, farmers and suppliers.  I believe it is important to know where the food comes from."

Besides visiting with our moms and enjoying the picnic-style meal, everyone at the table had a great time sharing information.  

Speaking of local foods, I have some strawberries waiting to be found and picked, so a fond adieu on this lovely Wednesday morning.

No comments: