Sunday, July 29, 2012

Horsin' Around

My sister Barbara started judging the Bonner County 4-H horse fitting and showing at about 8 yesterday morning.  

It was just about 4 p.m. when she finally selected an overall champion.  

The young lady in the yellow coat, Mariah Maas, won that honor.  

My sister Laurie and I arrived at the fairgrounds about 10 a.m. when this class of senior fitting and showing had lined up.  

We watched kids and horses do their thing while sitting in the bleachers with our pups.  I don't know if horses or our pups got the most attention.

And, it was all good.

We got acquainted with many young faces yesterday as they made their way to Pupville and asked if they could pet.  

Some didn't ask.  They simply made their way over and just started playing with our trio.

It was a fun day, with the pup attention and with all the visiting.  I haven't had a day like that for a long time.

Occasionally, there'd be a squabble between the red heeler siblings when Jessie would climb on and lie on Meggie.

Barbara told us later that she could hear their youthful growls from out in the arena.  I'm sure the little distraction brought a chuckle as she looked at horse after horse and their handlers.

Today she'll be judging the riding classes.  I might take Foster over again, and I'm sure Laurie will be there with Meggie and Jessie.  

If I go again today, I'll pace myself cuz sitting on those hard bleachers for hours on end is hard on one's rear. 

And while I'm on the subject of horses, I'll note that this morning I learned for sure that I've got a direct line to some of the Olympic action in London.

Last February I sat next to a very,  very nice young man on a flight from Phoenix to Palm Springs.  He told me his dad rode show jumpers and that he (Chris)  was headed to a show in Palm Springs that weekend.

Chris Fellers, who attends Linfield College and aspires to follow in his dad's footsteps,  is very gracious.  

After checking to learn for sure this morning that his dad Rich is on the USA Olympic Show Jumping team, I sent a note to Chris.

He has already written back from London and promises to keep me informed on how things go with his dad and the team.

He says show jumping action starts Aug. 4, so he'll send me an update then. 

For now, the team is still practicing in the Netherlands, while Chris and the rest of his family are playing tourist in London.

I'm so touched that he's been so thoughtful to write back.  

The Fellers do know Sandpoint well because they often travel through here bound for Canada from Oregon with their horses and board them at the fairgrounds. 

Small world. Big-time excitement.  Go USA Show Jumpers. 

Happy Sunday to all. 

No comments: