Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday Slight

Melinda helped me out as an English aide when she was a senior, and Heidi was in our 4-H club years ago.

Class of 1982 had a lot of our 4-H'ers including Monte (left) and Sarah (right).  Todd (center) is Sarah's hubby and a good electrician.

Two more of our 4-H'ers:  Peggy and Malia.  Jeralyn (right) was my yearbook editor.  Both Malia and Jeralyn now work at Sandpoint High.

Paul almost got away with being an SHS Class of '82 member, but not.  Pam, however, was.  She's an athletic director in Alaska now, and she was a wonderful English aide for me too.

Again, thank you, Fred (Mr. Laughingdog) for the beer.  And, Miss Brittany tried to convince me she was in the Class of 1982.  Turns out she graduated a mere 23 years later.

No photos of the Byway experience this morning.  Those shot through the windshield just don't pack one iota of the true beauty to be seen from the new stretch of road.

It seemed to me yesterday after taking three trips over the Byway that the folks who so vehemently opposed it---especially cuz Sandpoint would surely die---can relax and rest easy.

If anything, the views from the new section of road to the east of Sandpoint will only invite more interest in our community.

"Breath-taking" is the word that comes to mind when I think of what travelers see from the south approach.  Who could conceive from past years the full beauty of the beach and how many beautiful boats hang out in the surrounding area?

"Peaceful" is the word that comes to mind as I think of the drive from the north.  Sand Creek and the homes along it are nothing less than picturesque.  Downtown doesn't look so bad from its backside at all. 

The Byway truly is a gift to the community, and I have a feeling it's a gift that will continue to give more than anyone could ever imagine. 

Job well done.

Fred from Laughing Dog Brewery and his classmates can revel in a job well done for the first night of their 1982 class reunion.

Fred bought me a pale ale, for which I thank him.  And, it was so good to see the fun faces of a great bunch of SHS grads.  

Bill and I left the reunion, went to Second Avenue and watched a portion of the Olympic Opening spectacle.  I had to read in the paper what it was all about, since we couldn't quite hear the sound from the TV.

It seemed a little much and somewhat of an effort to cram too much British history into one package, but I guess that's the way things go with the epic programs these days.


We're looking forward to turning into tube boobs over the next couple of weeks and watching as many of the games as possible. 


This morning while walking down Selle Road I saw a horse trailer, probably bound for the annual county 4-H horse show. 


My sister Barbara is judging this year's show, so my other sister and I will probably spend some time over there watching her judge a lot of the kids we know.  Pups will go along with us.  


And, there will be lawn mowing and pea picking in between.  Looks like the beginnings of a great summer weekend.


Happy Saturday to all. 

1 comment:

Jim Imholte said...

thank you so much for coming. it was great to see you. sorry we did not get to visit with you much but we sure will call next time we are up. I watched the first cars come across the bypass yesterday morning from the train depot and it was an exciting feeling. now possibly downtown can be vitalized by locals who avoid it JUST to avoid the traffic. we are looking forward to it's evolution!