Thursday, August 09, 2012

A Sad Week


As is often the case, this has been a week of varying emotions.  The excitement and anticipation of the Olympics, of watching via Facebook my daughter's wonderful travels through Europe, good bounties from the garden-----all of that exilaration has been tempered with the news of Leland Fuller's death.

That photo portrays the essence of Leland as most anyone who came in contact knew him. 

I can imagine that thousands of lucky human beings across this country have their Leland stories---all good, all accented with smiles as big as Leland's.

Monday I went to The Bridge for Assisted Living for my usual visit with my mother.   Afterward, I stopped by the nurses' station to chat with staff.

When one staff member came in to hug another, saying, "I'm sorry," my first thought was that a resident had passed away.

Beth, the head nurse asked, "You haven't heard?"  

Well, I hadn't,  but when she told me Leland was the person we had read about in the Sunday paper, an apparent drowning victim near Clark Fork, I had to sit down.

Let's just say the rest of the day took a somber turn after that news. 

Leland served as manager of The Bridge and much more.

In his own way, Leland lived as a "bigger than life" human being.  

Creative, funny, upbeat, talented, professional, a gentleman through and through and comforting----that's how I'll always remember Leland.

Leland had a gift with people, making him a perfect candidate to manage The Bridge where positive atmosphere makes all the difference. 

As I got to know Leland, I realized that he and my husband had so much in common:  Luzianna roots, fly-fishing passion, love for music, follower of sports, good ol' Southern Baptist upbringing---even the same age---born in 1950. 

A difference:  Bill supported LSU in the national NCAA football championship, while Leland was a loyal 'Bama man.

There has a been a little light made of Leland's passing.  When many 60-somethings read the news account, learning that the then unknown apparent drowning victim was characterized as an "elderly" 62-year-old, we took offense. 

Bill and I discussed the "elderly"  characterization later that day, as did many folks I know.  

Bill told me of talking with his friend Tim at church and noting to Tim:  I was fishing yesterday.  I'm 62.  That could have been me.

The next day when I learned the news, I thought of the irony.

To say the folks at The Bridge are hurting this week from the loss of their central figure would be an understatement at best.

And, the residual effect upon families and the many friends Leland acquired during his tenure in Sandpoint could be characterized as devastating. 

A positive force in the lives of many has left us, but he did leave behind a few things to think about.   

One, in particular, goes well with the theme of this Saturday's walk, fun run across Lake Pend Oreille:  Celebrate your life.

That event to raise money for cancer patients was inspired by yet another human being, like Leland, who touched the lives of many by the way she lived her life:  Jenny Jacobson Meyer.

Leland's loss inspires that reminder once again,  and to know that Leland left his earthly life doing exactly what he loved---casting flies over a good fishing stream---fits so appropriately with the Celebrate Life message. 

My message to Leland and for his family:  you touched our lives so positively with every strum of your guitar, every positive word and every good natured smile.  

Thank you. We won't forget you.

2 comments:

Michael Fuller said...

Leland was my dad's little brother. and therefore My uncle. you described him perfectly. a follower of Christ. and he loved adventure. throughout his life, he was always fun. no matter what we did, we always had fun with Leland.

His music was his passion, and he loved what he did.

I am so glad he got to touch you, as he did with us. He loved Idaho and the outdoor adventures that area allowed him to have.

Just so you know, we brought him home to Alabama, to be buried next to his parents. Thanks for your kind words.

Michael Fuller

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for writing this. Coincidentally I am both an SHS alum and I worked with Leland in Spokane at an assisted living facility. I was deeply saddened upon hearing of his passing. I'm glad to know he found a place where he was so happy in the end.