Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Biking Beauty and Cake









Try as I might, I cannot change the goofy text set-up with this morning's post.  Thanks for your patience. 

A great afternoon, it was for me yesterday.  A portion of it was spent pedaling the loop at the Kootenai Wildlife Refuge northwest of Bonners Ferry.

A peaceful, scenic place any time of the year, the refuge is one of my favorite places for a quick getaway.  

The afternoon turned out to be one of those highly efficient and totally fun experiences.  First, a stop at Moose Valley Farms meant a nice visit with my classmate Mary, who owns the place.  

My sisters had given me a gift certificate back in June for $65---a dollar for every year.  Finally, I spent most of it on a set of chimes and a metal piggy for garden art.  His eyes light up at night.

Then, it was off to the Bread Basket Bakery where I picked up some white chocolate chip/macadamia-nut cookies, a loaf of banana bread and a sack of their wonderful hamburger buns.

Munching on the cookie and drinking coffee, I drove to the bird refuge for the bike ride. 

I also wanted to shop at the new Super 1 store but remembered we had ordered a new tailgate for the 4-wheeler.  

It was due in soon, so I stopped at Boundary Tractor, and, sure enough, it came in just before my visit.  So, we loaded it in the back of the pickup and I made my final stop at the beautiful new grocery store, which opened in July.

I pulled into the driveway by 4:15 and figured it had been a great day, for sure.

Well, today's a new day, and I read some phenomenal news in this morning's paper.  That's where the cake comes in.

The Sandpoint High School staff enjoyed some some surprise celebratory cake yesterday, for their teaching efforts.

Seems the SAT scores for last year's juniors---from a test taken in the spring---revealed that SHS students led the state in math and critical reading, while earning second place (just one point from tying first) in writing. 

Sandpoint High School earned a 5-star status, and I'm sure buttons are rightfully popping around the school.  

Hats off to staff and students for this wonderful achievement.  We grads have always known we attended a wonderful public high school, and those who came after us--both teachers and students--continue to prove it.  

Finally, today begins another competition in
Southern Idaho, of a national nature.  Around 5 p.m. this afternoon, my sister Laurie will be riding in her first qualifying class at the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals in Nampa.

Tonight's class is Arabian Sport Horse under saddle.  If she makes the top cut, she'll ride Mani in the finals Saturday night. 


Again, some of the show is being streamed live feed on the Internet at http://arabianhorseglobal.com/


Good luck, Laurie and Mani.


And, Happy Wednesday to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Pend Oreille School District teachers. The achievement is recognized at high school, but public education is a 12-year effort. Improving educational level is the most important key to restoring the country to world leadership.

bryceviewlodge said...

The view is just perfect for fishing and some nature adventure for the entire family.

Bryce Canyon Events