Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Just Wednesday Stuff


Time got away from me. 

I promised my friend Carolyn Gleason that I'd feature the poster to the right on my blog.
  
That was last Wednesday night.

Well, a week later and still a couple of days before the event, you can see that Rocky and the Rollers will be at the Panida Friday night.

Carolyn, the force behind our annual "Lost in the '50s" celebration, says she'd like to fill the house Friday night.

She's also hoping the proceeds will provide a big boost to the "Lost in the '50s" coffers, thereby ensuring stability for future years.

So, if you're local and love rock 'n roll, plan to attend the concert.  If you're not local but know folks who ought to know, pass the word.

Carolyn and the Lost in the '50s crowd will appreciate your support. 

~~~~Speaking of other local hard workers for the community good, I received a note from Michele Murphree this morning.

She's the force behind the school garden projects, and she tells me big things have been happening out at Northside Elementary School this year. 

"Due to extraordinary community and business support, we are now up to seventeen
raised garden beds, with an automatic watering system, and a pavillion
to sit under when it rains/snows," Michele says. 



On Sept. 11, the Home Depot team will be at the school to help construct a white picket fence around the garden. 


As a wannabe gardener ( I do raise a garden but it has a long ways to go to be a respectable, show-off garden), I love the fact that kids are having the opportunity to learn about and practice the most basic tool of sustenance. 


And, I salute the efforts of behind-the-scenes folks like Michele who provide the inspiration and coordinate the efforts for these projects to happen at our local schools. 

Speaking of gardens, I'm waiting to see if the chill in the air did any killing overnight.  My green and yellow bean plants look a bit peaked this morning.

Fingers crossed that they survive, but it's for sure that I'll be picking beans today. 

I'll also be walking the hay-field fence line, looking for any problems that might lure Lily and Lefty  to escape from their fall pasture.

Once that's done, they'll get to graze in a fresh growth of lush green grass since the field was cut about a month ago. 

The change of pasture always means the beginning of grain-can season.  Once the horses are in the far pasture, they're not nearly so willing to come when I call them at night.

So, a rattle of the can means music to their ears and a cue to run to the gate for their hand-out. 

This week is filled with the fall projects (including another full-fledged mouse assault in the barn) and with hopes of a horseback ride or two.

It's time to get started, so I'll just wish all a happy Wednesday.  Where the heck did this week go?


No comments: