Saturday, February 23, 2013

A "Grand" Day in the Desert

















We still haven't exactly warmed up yet on our excellent adventure, but we're seeing the sun and the beauty of the desert.  I can now cross off the Grand Canyon from my bucket list, along with a lot of other enchanting scenes which we observed yesterday.

Our day included geocaching, a drive with a short hike in the Kaibab National Forest.  I'm always enchanted by fences, especially the posts that support them.  Arizona's grazing fences feature their own brand of rustic artistry.

Of course, I had to snap a photo of the rabbit.  I met him on my morning walk in Page along the golf course overlooking Lake Powell and Glen Canyon Dam.  A house along that Vista Drive was for sale.  The brochure says $490,000.  

We took three or four "slight detours" because of a sink hole along HWY 89.  That put us about 40 miles out of our way, but we didn't mind.  After all, as Robert Frost and my friend Helen say, "The roads least traveled . . . "  

Right now more people than care to are traveling that road, but they're seeing Tuba City, Arizona, home of the Warriers and Cameron and truck loads of lush alfalfa hay for sale along the roadside.

I went a little crazy when we stopped at our first vista before the Grand Canyon. Remind me to shut my eyes the next time I see Navajo craft booths along the road.  Too tempting.

By the way, brother Jim, that's your gift the vendor is wrapping in the photo.  As usual, I'll shout out my appreciation for your tending to Lily, Lefty, Foster, Kea, Kiwi, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Festus and Jonas. Same to Willie and Debbie for fostering Foster when necessary.  Thanks. Thanks. Thanks. 

Yes, the Grand Canyon is so grand as are the visitors from all over the world.  It's almost more fun taking pictures of the people taking pictures than the canyon itself.  But I indulged in both.

I loved talking briefly to the family from the northwest of France as they gathered around for a French flag photo of their youngest.  His sister is an exchange student at a high school near Tucson.  

Of course, I had to tell them about our Romain who visited us from Caen every summer for three straight years back in the '90s.

It was fun to see tourists marveling over the patches of snow still to be found in shaded areas around the canyon.  And, when I saw the heart for Love, I had to snap.

For the most part, it was truly a "thumbs up" day on our excellent adventure, but it did not end so well.

As I type, Bill is hoping to get the pickup down Route 66 (we're staying at a Best Western on Route 66 in Flagstaff).  There's an advance auto shop that does brake work.

It opens at 8 a.m. The pickup did "brake it to us gently" throughout the afternoon that it had an ailment.  The ailment, probably in the brakes, became more pronounced as we neared Flagstaff, so much so that going down a hill made us nervous.

We made it, though, and scouted out the fix-it shops last night.  Bill has a list, should the first place not be able to fix our truck this morning.

We're still smiling, though, figuring that when we started this trip, we had no idea how it would unfold, and we're perfectly willing to take the good with the bad----provided the bad turns good, that is.

So, on this Saturday morning, we're not exactly "on the road again," and I must say that Flagstaff has about as much or more snow than Sandpoint.  So, we haven't exactly gained in the "bare ground and warmth" department.  

If all goes right, that WILL happen.  If not, we're still collecting memories, and that's the beauty of excellent adventures.

The only other downside is another Gonzaga game tonight, and I'm probably gonna have to watch it through graphics on my computer wherever we end up.  

GO ZAGS!  Happy Saturday to all.


2 comments:

Margaret Blastic said...

Glad to see you are enjoying our beautiful state of Arizona!

Word Tosser said...

what is on the tree that you took a picture of? Fruit or what?
Wonderful you get to make the trip.. we still have snow up here.. more coming they say.. GROUNDHOG LIED..
So enjoy... know your mom must be enjoying having Jim here too..
Hope you hit the 60's soon..and thanks for the travelogue as you go.