Thursday, March 28, 2013

North Idaho Frenzy

Yup, we're back at it again.  Tis the season of "what to do, what to do."  First, second, third, that is. 

Suddenly the smorgasboard of urgent, important and daily activities begins, and we North Idahoans find ourselves stressed out, tired and frustrated that there are not enough hours in the day to get it all done. 

In North Idaho, spring is a time when it would be nice if we had endless daylight, along with added physical and mental endurance to get ahead of the "to do" list challenge. 

Yesterday, I took a moment to think about horses to groom, garden beds to clean, deck chairs yet to be painted, a barnyard fence sadly in need of a new coat of paint, pasture fences needing repair, story assignments requiring ongoing attention, Easter, birthdays coming up, a possible editing job, my banjo lessons, dogs to entertain, windows to be washed, floors to be vacuumed, furniture needing dusting, the greenhouse projects and plants needing to be transplanted into bigger pots, the usual morning and night chores, visiting my mother,  a hayfield full of horse piles that did not get harrowed last fall and . . . . 

My head suddenly felt really tired, so I called my banjo instructor, "Can I cancel my lesson tomorrow?  Things are getting crazy."

He said yes.

"Could I cancel for two weeks straight cuz they're gonna get crazier?"

He said yes again.  I promised to attend his musical gig at Pend Oreille Winery tomorrow night before taking the birthday boys (Bill and Willie) for their annual birthday dinner.  

He thought that would be nice.

Yes, we have reached that season where if you don't race around getting it done, there's that much more work for you to do. 

Tomorrow Tony, my maintenance man, comes to fix up the lawnmowers for this year's twice weekly 6-hour mowing marathons.  

At 9 a.m. we have a builder coming to look at the sorry deck outside our front door.  He'll give us some ideas on what can be done to replace it, how much it will cost and if he can do it before the "pretty season" in our yard.  

Being a "yard beautiful" person, I figure the faster he can get in and out with his construction zone, the better. 

The pretty season comes alive in May, so I'm hoping the ugly deck, destroyed by heavy snow will be but a memory when May Day rolls around. 

Even as I type this morning, just thinking about all this stuff has my mind in a frenzy.  Before 9,  I have to call a gentleman and set up a picture-taking session for later today, and I have to water my indoors garden and clean up the kitchen and bathroom and . . . .

So, instead of feeding the frenzy, I'll just call it a day for Slight Detour.  Lord knows, I'll be taking many a slight detour from one project to another over the next several days.

Happy Thursday. 

 

No comments: