Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hope Springs Eternal Beauty









On a pretty spring evening when there's plenty of sunlight available, it's time to hop in the car with the camera.  That's what I did last night.  

Bill was fishing on the Moyie (high waters, he says).  So, the dogs and I piled in and headed off through the countryside. 

Head east, my gut told me.  That's where the light from the sun in the west will be the prettiest.

So, I drove down Selle Road, turned on Colburn-Culver, then turned at Northside School and headed east down Rapid Lightning Creek Road.

When I turned south before the Pack River General Store with thoughts of passing Hidden Lakes and turning on to HWY 200, I spotted about five elk in a field with some deer.  

What is it about snapping pictures of wildlife, even when you know you'll have nothing better than a drugstore snapshot?  It's the human need, I guess. 

Yes, my photos are terrible because I shot into the darkness away from the evening light.  But those elk were there, and we always have to get excited when we see elk in a green farm field.  

I even get excited when I see deer---1 million, five hundred thousand twenty-four deer later.  So the need to take a picture, any picture of a wild critter always gnaws at us.

I'll not display my elk pictures, but you can just believe me that I saw them.

Further down the road, I saw dear Mary Stevens out walking along the edge of Hidden Lakes Golf Course.  She definitely has some beautiful areas for her neighborhood jaunts out there.

Once on the highway, I drove until turning off on one of the many wonderful, scenic turnouts for folks to enjoy the lake.  

And, the real picture-taking began.  Unfortunately, dogs had to stay in the car, but I think they were enjoying the scenery too.  Maybe I need to teach them to count the deer on these trips. 

Hope gets enough southern exposure that the hillside shrubbery has already busted out all over.  We have yet to enjoy our "shimmering" season where baby buds break open and shimmer in the evening sunlight.

That's always one of my most favorite periods of the year, so I'll be ready.

The trip to Hope and a drive through some of its back side turned out to be a perfect short getaway.  Oh, yeah, that stump with its daffodils.  It lives on East Shingle Mill Road, and I stopped to admire it on the way back.

Tonight I may take my camera again while visiting the chocolate extravaganza at Ponderay Garden Center (5-7 p.m.)  Chocolate fondue bar, sampling stations in every building---all you can eat chocolate, along with music and the lovely sights of spring plants and shrubs.  

Can't beat that.  I think I'll leave the dogs home tonight. 

It's a pretty good time for taking in "all that we live here for," and it's nice that we have the gorgeous weather to enjoy it. 

Happy Thursday to all. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the old car picture - all are great but that is special!

Helen