Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Kind of People . . . ?



Man,   I hope the people at the Boston Marathon are ok. 

Two explosions at the finish line. What kind of people hurt innocent people? Sad to see this.


The comment above served as my first knowledge of the Boston Marathon bombings yesterday.

I was suffering and miserable most of the day with a bad cold, freezing in rooms where the thermostat couldn't go any higher. 

So, for me, yesterday was pretty much a wasted day except for all the moose droppings I loaded into the cart while strolling around the front yard.

Once inside from that task, I just wanted to curl up, go back to bed and sleep it off, but with hammers pounding outside on the deck reconstruction, that idea seemed useless.  

Horrible thing to be sick when there are people, working right outside your door.

Anyway, misery from the univited cold created a seemingly endless day for me. Occasionally, I'd come upstairs and work on a story assignment.

During one of those visits, I checked Facebook and saw the comment above. 

I turned on the TV, and like everyone else who had access to the endless replay of horrid scenes in the midst of what had been a bright day for Boston, I watched and listened----to the experts who know about terrorists and explosives and all the stuff associated with the heinous acts we've witnessed via our television sets over the past several years.

I sat in the warmth of that stove, turned up on high, and listened to commentators explaining the usual "if you just joined us."

All the sudden my miserable cold seemed pretty insignificant in the grand scheme. 

And, all the while as I watched,  I thought about the person who had made that comment on Facebook, the comment which had alerted me for the first time that once again something awful had happened to a group of innocents, to a city and to a time-honored event. 

You see, the person who wrote that comment knows about such things.  His name is Brandon Adam, formerly Sgt. Brandon Adam who suffered a traumatic life-altering event back in 2007. 

Brandon knows about IED's because that's how he lost his legs----IN WAR---in Iraq.  I tried to imagine what was going through his mind as he watched the events yesterday, occurring in beautitful Boston----not a war zone.  

Part of what must have been going through Brandon's mind when he posted that comment became all the more poignant once I turned on my TV.   

And, like Brandon------who is well-endowed with that American spirit of resilience, clearly exemplified by his journey back, which eventually resulted in a silver medal while racing on a mono-ski at the X-games a couple of years ago and his upbeat, positive attitude, especially toward his wife and his adorable daughter------we all hope that those who were injured in yesterday's Boston Marathon, those who helped them and all who witnessed the unspeakable sights will be ok. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learned this a.m. that the son and daughter-in-law of our friends Dave and Judy were safely back in their Boston hotel before the bombing. A big relief, but oh, how we grieve for those injured and killed in this senseless tragedy.

Mary

Ta2dlam said...

Thank you for writing this, Mrs. Love. I tried to come up with words I thought would be adequate last night and found, for one of the few times in my life, that those words failed me. I haven't met Brandon Adam but his story, like many others, can certainly give us perspective and hope in the face of such insanity.
Justin L