Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Weekend Wanderings

Bill and I took off for a quick drive to Upper Pack River late Sunday afternoon.
And when Chimney Rock, a North Idaho icon in the Selkirk Mountain Range, showed up in our view, the truck stopped and the camera came out.  Some day I'll have a telephoto to properly photograph what appears to be a little nubbin in this photo.  Chimney Rock becomes more daunting the closer people get, and folks who've climbed it will tell you it offers a good challenge for even those in the best of shape.  Like Roman Nose, its neighbor in that rugged range, Chimney Rock is easily recognized for miles around.  


Stumps of Sundance, and that's not the film festival.  
Any dedicated stump photographer or forest fire historian could have a heydey in the Selkirks where the famous Sundance Burn of 1967 swept through 55,000 acres overnight.  Fire crews spent weeks putting out the fires in what looked like a wasteland for a number of years. I can brag that some of mere 125 Forest Service seedlings that I ever planted a year or two after the fire may be mature trees in this area, now grown up and shielding the impact of the Sundance burn.  But the stumps serve as reminders of how fast natural events can change the landscape. 

It's amazing what appears on Selle Road, and yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to see these two young'uns climbing a snag next to the Taylor's driveway.  They didn't even scare me. 

I just call it black and white and green all over plus one stump. 

Just another view of Schweitzer from North Kootenai Road.  The contrast of seasons is mighty pretty this time of year. 
I always wish I had a camera when I pass by this old classic on my way to town via North Kootenai Road.  Well, yesterday I did.  The senior citizen of the truck world speaks for itself. 

No comments: