Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Red Roof Inn Idaho Style, et. al.




Yup, I call that top photo "Man on a Roof."  

Yesterday, Amos returned with some bright red aluminum roofing and finished off the Pasture No. 1 horse shelter, which we can now dub the "Red Roof Inn."  

I think our place may have a little Sandpoint Bulldog flavor of "Red and white, fight, fight." 

Seems like we've got the theme down pretty much all through the building complexes, just a few different shades of our high school's colors.  That's okay with me, as a "Best School Spirit" winner back in 1965, I remain loyal to my alma mater.

Not that we planned it that way; the red and white was here when we came.  We've just carried it a wee bit further.  

Once again, Amos did a nice job with his sturdy, attractive, perfection-oriented construction.   So, I don't mind plugging Walkington Construction for anyone local needing remodels or full-blown structures. 

We just have to nail up some boards to the back side of the shelter to go with the fence, and the horses can go into the pasture for lush eating and some nice shade. 

Speaking of horses, I've enjoyed nice rides on both of mine this week.  Mr. Lefty went out the day before yesterday for his third trip down the road.  I'm feeling more and more confident each time I ride him.

Lily's experience last night included an added dimension.  I like to call it an accelerator.  "It" is a new set of spurs. 

I haven't worn spurs since the days of my first horse Tiny, who didn't mind taking really tiny and slow steps.  Tiny preferred the gear called "jog."  Occasionally, however, I like a horse that walks, one that walks fast. 

So, the spurs helped Tiny git along down the roads, and I'm happy to say that my lazy Lily had a little more snap to her step last night.  

She needed only occasional light nudges with the spurs to know that her "rubber belly" wasn't going to work any more.  

Spurs do a little better job on rubber-bellied horses than boot heels.   We enjoyed a nice ride and a few visits with neighbors along the way. 

I included a photo of my garden this morning.  Yes, I do gardens the old-fashioned way, and, yes, I do my share of bending over while weeding.  Some day I'll advance to the raised-bed style of gardening.

Except for the corn and beans, which endured a little frost bite this week, the crops are coming along almost as fast as the weeds.  Still not ready for radish plucking yet, but that will come soon. 

Today I'll probably take my remaining tomatoes out of their pots and stake them up in the north end of the garden.  Tomatoes always look so sick when they first go outside, but once they get accustomed, look out for the jungles.  Mine are on the verge of taking off, so it's definitely time for the garden spot. 

Not a lot more going on here at the Lovestead except lovely weather and the great fun of satisfying yard work.  And, that's all fine with me.

Happy Wednesday. 


No comments: