Friday, July 26, 2013

Morning Glories and Magic Candles




The Magic Friendship Candle

I  changed lenses, hoping to get some nice close-ups of all the glories of the morning.  In some cases, lighting was not so good. 

In others, the sizzle of the past several days had cooked much of the beauty right out of what had been gorgeous floral color shows.  

Maybe the other lens would have been more forgiving during this morning's photo walkaround. 

Still,  the lone hollyhock on its tall stem begged for attention, so I complied.  

And, those pansies in the shaded area of the front deck appeared to be singing out "Hallelujahs" aka "please come and take our picture" as I walked around the front yard.

Another entity appeared on the scene after I'd removed deadheads for a "more perfect" portrait.  

Jonas wanted some attention too.

So, I snapped a few quick shots of the big ol' lovable tom cat, which I obtained from the shelter two years ago.  Hardly seems possible he's been around here that long.

And, he's just as pretty as the day I glanced down, spotted him among a group of potential adoptees and said, "I'll take this one."  

Good choice cuz everyone agrees that Jonas is one cool cat, including his best friend Foster. 

We have a busy few days ahead.  Willie and Debbie will spend the weekend in Boise. Annie's attending a Phish concert at the Gorge tonight and then taking in a Seattle sports doubleheader tomorrow----the Mariners in the afternoon and the Sounders in the evening. 

I'm having lunch with a friend today.  My sisters and I will go to Julyamish tomorrow and then to other respective gatherings in the afternoon and evening. 

Sunday is the last Burning Tree Ranch neighborhood potluck.  My friend Marilyn has sold her ranch and is moving to town.

I received my invitation to the picnic in the mailbox several days ago, along with "the candle," with a brand-new look, of course.

That's the rule with "the magic friendship candle," passed between the Chambers family and the Loves numerous times since about 1976----usually whenever and wherever the recipient least suspects it. 

I think it's been about ten years since the candle made its last transformation, and I'm having a hard time remembering just what it looked like when I passed it off to Marilyn. 

Could be at one of the Christmas parties where it sat in all its ugly splendor among Marilyn's display of beautiful kitchen ware.  

As I recall, I prompted a couple of guests at the party to agree with me what a wonderful and unique piece it was among her collection.  

For some reason, a few moments later, Marilyn protested its presence. 

I don't know if I can come up with a new theme between now and Sunday, and, of course, it would be unwise to do so, for she may just suspect something and that would take away the surprise element.  

So, I'll give it time, and one day she'll turn into a stunned, probably horrified recipient once again. 

In the meantime, life goes on, and this weekend the pace will be somewhat sizzling but the temps will go down a bit, and I like that. 

Happy Friday. 

1 comment:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I am so glad Jonas found you and you found him! A match made in heaven. I hope all the Siamese got such good homes. Amazing blue eyes.