Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday Slight


Off to Julyamish!  My sisters and I will attend the annual powwow in Post Falls for the third straight year today.  We figure today's version will be better---for us, at least---than last year's.

Laurie will NOT be wearing a therapeutic boot or using crutches to get around.  And, it may not be quite as hot. 

We go to the powwow for a variety of reasons----first and foremost, because we love the opportunity to take in several aspects of Native American culture.  

We also really love the dancing, and we especially love the dozens and dozens of booths offering jewelry, bead work, various forms of art, music and books.

During our first visit to Julyamish, I used my birthday money from my mother to purchase the late George Flett's book (autographed too) on ledger art, pictured above.  

The acclaimed artist from Spokane died this past year, and he will be honored at this year's Julyamish.  

I picked up a copy of one of his paintings several years ago at another powwow along the Spokane River and felt fortunate to meet and visit with him at the time.  

So, when I saw his booth two years ago at Julamish, I spent considerable time thumbing through prints, having some difficulty deciding which one to select.

Near the entrance to the booth was a box of his ledger-art originals.  

I selected one from the assortment, pulled out a $20 bill and walked up to purchase it. That's when I learned that the price on the back of the piece was NOT $12 but $1,200. 

Refocus!

I eventually chose the beautiful, cloth-covered book filled with full-color art and the stories behind his pieces.   It's definitely a keepsake.

Today we'll probably do our usual of strolling through the booth offerings and then watch the dancing with cameras cocked and ready to click.  

Barbara will probably come back with several hundred stunning, close-up images, while Laurie and I will try our darndest to get some good shots with our ordinary lenses. 

It will be fun and inspiring, as always. I also have a feeling that we'll spend a dollar or two at those booths, adding to our individual collections of jewelry.  

Julyamish is a fun time for our sisterly trio, and maybe this year we can eat our lunch somewhere besides the McDonald's drive-up window, which was necessitated by the "cripple" among our ranks last year. 

Happy Saturday. 


No comments: