Thursday, August 22, 2013

Turkey Thursday


It's gobbledy gook around here these days.  

We've got turkeys, yes we do.

We've got turkeys, how 'bout you??????

It's turkey in the straw, turkey in the yard, turkey in the woods, turkey down the road, turkey, turkey everywhere. 

Yup, the turkey tourist season has descended upon us out here in Selle, and I'm guessing just about everyone who lives out here has their own herd of visitors and maybe two. 

Twas almost 6:15 this morning before I saw my first turkey for the day.  Usually, I spot 'em from the window moseying around Pasture No. 2 or in the hayfield.  That's before I head outside to do chores at 6 a.m.

Little Foster, our mini Aussie, loves it when turkeys are in the pasture cuz that's the one thing Mom will let him chase.  I've noticed and am happy to report that once he clears them out, he heads back, knowing his work is done. 

This morning was a no chaser for Foster cuz of no gobblers in the fields.

As I walked out the driveway, though, I saw a slow-moving black mass in the road to the south. Sure enough upon looking closer, I detected someone's herd making its way---in a clump---down the road.  

I think they were going the opposite direction from our house, so that was fine with me.

Yesterday I met a herd in the middle of the road just south of the driveway.  I think they were Taylor turkeys cuz they immediately skittled into the ditch and through, over or under the fence into our neighbors' cow pasture.  

These turkey herds include all sizes of moms, aunts, uncles, grannies, kids and toddlers.  

We humans see no rhyme or reason to their clan make-up with their assorted sizes and behaviors.  I'm sure, though, that the turkeys know the pecking order of their respective families. 

One can observe all kinds of strange behavior once someone within the group announces to the others that an intruder is in their midst.  

The subsequent behavior includes a mixture,  ranging from immediate fluttering off into the air,  aiming toward the nearest tree,  to scampering off through the grass in various directions.

I've often wondered how these herds reconnect---especially the teensy weensy turkeys--- once they've scattered on foot or wing to what appears to turkeys as a safe zone.  

More than likely, all that "cheep, cheep, cheeping" includes specific messages. 

I know that these herds have visited our yard, and it's probably at night when patrol dog Kea is not outside to send them on their way.  

I know this cuz I've been finding feathers near the flower beds, near the garden and in other places where I don't want to find turkey signs.  

So far, this year, I haven't driven into the driveway to find turkeys in the garden and turkeys with guilt complexes racing and flying out of my barn.  

Surely that will happen, and when it does, I'll send patrol dog into action. 

For now, the only signs they've left have been the feathers, and I'm hoping we can keep them flocking together OUTSIDE the perimeter of the yard. 

Happy Turkey Thursday. 

  

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

What one complains about is not necessarily the turkeys.. but the poop they leave behind.. which always seems to be just where you walk..