Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Peaceful Day, Please . . . .

Mesto Praha, Bryan Roth and Annie Love at the European GeoCoinfest in Prague, Czech Republic.   Mesto is from the Czech Republic, while Bryan and Annie, both of Seattle, are colleagues at Groundspeak, Inc., which operates the geocaching website. 



It's hard to fathom that it's been 12 years since that awful morning when our world seemed to be crumbling before our very eyes via television screen or, for many people, in person. 

Thinking about all that's happened in our nation and our lives in the past dozen years is even more challenging. 

The memories of the moments when we all first learned of the first horrific event of 9-11 and then the second and the third and the fourth----still remain so vivid.  

And, the horror---still so tangible as if it were just yesterday. 

My first knowledge came through sitting at my computer and seeing a headline and a photo on Yahoo online news. 

Immediately, I turned on the TV.  Soon after, I watched CNN as the second plane hit the towers.

A few minutes later, I called my kids, all in Boise at the time, all students at Boise State. Willie and Debbie had been married one month to the day.  

Later, I tore myself away from the television and drove to school.  A whole lot happened on the East Coast during that ten-minute drive.  More planes down, more horror.  

Many of my colleagues and I stood, almost paralyzed in the hallway, propped against the walls, wondering out loud what all this meant and when was it going to stop. 

Soon we were in our classrooms, trying to remain calm in front of our students.  I don't remember the announcements that day.  I just remember the numbness of it all and the sober atmosphere that took over the school on that beautiful morning. 

I also remember one student in one of my morning classes who asked to be excused so he could call home.  

"My brother will probably go off to war," he announced as he walked out the door.  More than likely he was correct.   

Two wars later, here we are on the brink of another war, but maybe not.  

It would be nice if all the people in power would find common ground to avert wars, but we all know that would be in a perfect world where all human beings stayed on the same page.  

Rather doubtful, to say the least. 

This morning as I type, my kids are no longer in Boise.  

It's hard not to think of one's kids every time we remember the events of this day.  They were the first people I wanted to talk to 12 years ago. 

I probably won't visit with them this morning, but I have written a brief note to my daughter:  "safe travels."  

She's in the air, flying across the Atlantic, as I type.  

I will look very forward---on this particular day as with any other---to see a Facebook posting the minute she has landed safely in Seattle later this afternoon. 

My son is no doubt at school, walking that same hallway where my colleagues and I stood,  stunned 12 years ago.  And, hopefully, his day will start as planned, maybe with a mention of 9-11 and some remembrances.  

Maybe a lot of remembrances, come to think of it. 

After all, most of his students were 3, 4 and 5 years old on that day.  They probably need to hear the stories of those who will remember September 11, 2001, for the rest of their lives.

My wish as I remember that morning:  may it be a peaceful day the world around.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure "Mesto Praha"?
"Mesto Praha" is "Prague city" in czech language.

Marianne Love said...

Don't know. It looked like the lady's name. Sorry if I made a mistake.