Sunday, September 01, 2013

First Sunday


Annie has reached Munich, Germany, within the last hour or so.  Only minutes ago, she posted this photo on Facebook, featuring a portion of the Marienplatz, Munich's central square since 1158.  It also provided the setting for Middle Age tournaments. 

The tower on the building was erected in the 1600s, celebrating the end of Swedish occupation of the area during the Thirty Years War.  

My sources state that the area has many restaurants and shops, so Annie will probably check it all out, and we'll be seeing the photos. 

With the calendars turning over this morning----I haven't done that just yet---my horses are getting a treat today---'cept for fat Lefty, that is.  

The gates to the hay field are in place, and Lily has already tasted some of that lovely green grass.

Soon Mojavee will follow her and will most likely munch to his heart's content.  

Poor Lefty has fat globs up around his tail, which indicate he's had a few too many spears of grass this summer.  So, he'll probably spend most of the day in the barnyard.  

Hard to explain to one's loving and sweet horse that it's diet time----just as hard as it is to tell oneself.

Since I can't see the globs near my tail, I'll bypass dieting for now and keep riding my bike.

Had a chance to do just that yesterday afternoon.  Part of my bike riding motive was to escape the buzz here at the Lovestead.  Doesn't matter where one walks around here, the buzz is present.  

I think the bee population has doubled this week from its highest count of previous weeks.  They've taken over the barn so much that I had to lead Lefty over to the lean-to in the storage shed to clip him yesterday.

And, the sly buggers have established their nests so high up inside the barn that the spray won't reach them.  I counted more than a dozen nests in that area alone yesterday.

Back to the bike, I enjoyed a brief escape and pedaling the Forest Siding loop, where enough shade along the way made for a pleasant ride.  

I stopped off at some neighbors for a quick visit, and, of course, the conversation turned to bees.  They told me that they had gone to Green Bay, a most gorgeous place on Lake Pend Oreille, to relax and enjoy the view.

Within minutes, the bees drove them away. 

So, escaping this year's bumper crop is easier said than done. 

I hate to think of the only cure for these pests----a good freeze, but I'd be more than happy to cover my tomatoes---if the bees would let me, that is---to have them gone, gone, gone.

Today Bill and Willie will go fishing at Smith Creek again.  My agenda calls for a late-morning visit to my nieces who are here for the weekend. 

Then, I'll get gussied up for a gathering in Sandpoint's Town Square.  Hardly as old as Munich's but a nice place to visit. 

Actually, it's a wedding.  The town square bears the name of the groom's father, so I'm sure it will be very meaningful to the family. 

Hope the bees don't show up to cause a nuisance.  Maybe they need to pass out some cute little bottles of bee repellent as favors. 

In other news, our teams had a perfect run yesterday; all lost.  Guess we'd better get behind little Eastern Washington who knocked off the ranked Oregon State Beavers.  

Guess that's all for now. Have a great Sunday. 


No comments: