Saturday, October 05, 2013

Saturday Slight




My friend Cherry Fitzpatrick Lane sent me the top photo a week or so ago.  For some reason she thought of me.  I just don't know where she'd get the idea that I would have any interest or thoughts about bees.  

Maybe she reads my blog.  

Anyway, I think the photo art is appropriate and well done because the image pretty much visualizes the impact those nasty, mean, hungry, aggressive critters have had and continue to have on me this summer.

The caption said something about a nice summer but that we're not going to miss these guys. 

Well, as yet, we haven't been able to decide if we're gonna miss them just yet because they keep coming back from wherever they hide when it rains.

Seemed like everywhere I went a bee was dive bombing me and sending me on my way. 

I've noticed while doing garden work that the minute I bend over to pull a weed or a dead veggie, the all-too-familiar buzz revs up and then I see the monster flying about, ready to come in for a landing and bite. 

So, I move on to something else. 

Seems those two hard freezes we've had have done nothing to deter them.  

On a more positive note, one little critter I've noticed this week for the first time is, in my book, as nice as the lady bugs.  

I've spotted two woolly worms crawling across the grass out by the barn and have taken great care to see that they go safely to wherever they're headed. 

Where do woolly worms go anyway?

Granted, two woolly worms can hardly give us a truly scientific prediction about how hard the winter's gonna be.  

Lots of folks think the high population of bees portends a doozy coming up.  

Well, I always heard that the width of the middle strip on the woolly worm is a good indicator. Wide stripe.  Wild winter.  Well, the stripes on these two were fairly average.

So, I guess it's a toss-up.  The best predictor of weather is simply the day by day gettin' through it all. 

We're enjoying some magnificent fall weather now, so no need to worry about the snow season just yet.  

And, with thought of beautiful fall,  comes a brand new seasonal event that my friend Cherry brought to my attention.  

All the necessary information is in the second image above.  I've known the Hickey family forever, it seems, and I have always admired that gorgeous farm where the barns and farmhouse sit up on a hillside overlooking the Selle-Oden area.  

The place used to be one of the thriving dairies around the area.  Now, Jim Hickey and the Hickey/Holt grandkids are establishing a wonderful produce enterprise on the farm, raising corn and vine plants.  

Hat's off to the family for coming up with this wonderful opportunity for other families to enjoy some time in a great farm atmosphere. 

I'll be heading over later and taking some pictures, and I'm betting this will turn into a popular annual event, as is tonight's Oden Grange Harvest dinner and silent auction, which Cherry noted also. 

Lots going on this beautiful weekend.  And, one more reminder to cast your daily vote for Nikki Hawkins Zimmerman's Out of Step Super Bowl commercial quest.  

Just click the link and wait a second for Nikki's photo and an easy vote.   https://www.smallbusinessbiggame.com/WA/The-Out-of-Step-Tool/384737

Happy Saturday.

No comments: