Thursday, November 28, 2013

Holiday Marathon Moves On



It was a "sleep in" morning----until 6:24, in fact.  That's almost two hours beyond my normal wake-up time, but it was needed.  

I even put a heads-up note on the blog late last night just in case my post-Thanksgiving Day slumber lasted longer.

I did not warn the horses, though. 

As I said to Bill this morning, Lily, Lefty and Mojavee don't know about holidays and how the humans tend to get off schedule with all the eating and family merriment.  

Hungry horses don't really care about holidays.  They want their hay when they want their hay, and there's "no sleeping in" for a horse's belly.

This morning, however, the herd went easy on me as I headed toward the barn, with caffeine-deprived brain and bleary eyes still adjusting to a new day---both running a bit on low.

Unless my eyes and ears were deceiving me, nobody whinnied, nobody even looked up as I strolled through the yard.  I think they had already done the grousing and moaning and finally resolved that if she was running late, they might as well cat-nap. 

They're happy, and I'm kinda back on schedule after a long day in the kitchen and an evening of visiting with family, lasting until well after 11 p.m.  Every moment spent in the kitchen was worth it, though.  

Our feast was grand, and our visiting turned into a rollicking funfest with nearly two hours spent comparing crazy Bigfoot stories and bizarre medical experiences.  Let's see, I heard about one person swallowing a needle and, of course, Debbie Barbara and I enjoyed recounting the scary hours of Laurie's initial viral encephalitis scare.  

That segment involved some "hazmat suits, revisited" reflections, along with Laurie's recounting of the moment when the nurse had trouble finding a vein and told her she'd be back.  When she didn't come back soon enough in Laurie's encephalitis-infected mind, Laurie simply assumed, "She's killing me." 

Laurie then informed us that eventually someone came to her rescue, and she lived to tell the story on a fun-filled Thanksgiving gathering. 

It was a great day yesterday---kids ran in the turkey trot, Bill helped out by feeding horses and taking care of dogs, while I nursed the last-minute phase of attending to all aspects of my contribution to the Thanksgiving menu.

So, today with bellies still recovering from overload, we'll direct our bodies toward a hiking area with some friends here from Arizona.  There's still a little clean-up left from the Thanksgiving table set-up, but I'm gonna let down the usual guard and let it be.

After all, the horses survived my "sleep-in" day, so I think we'll all survive a day of relative disorganization filled with several more hours of family fun and enjoyment of our gorgeous piece of Heaven.  

Snow and rain are coming soon enough, so it's definitely a Carpe Diem time.  More work to prepare for the next big holiday will come soon enough. 

 Happy Friday. 

No comments: