Friday, November 08, 2013

Inside Days . . . .



When you've just changed from your jeans with wet pant-legs into all dry clothes and you make one trip to the dog run, bail out water from the dog shelter roof and you're just as wet as you were a few moments before, it's a wet day.

It's also a kind of day where finding inside projects is important, especially if you tend to go stir crazy if stuck in the house for more than 30 minutes.

And, when you have to climb the ladder for the first time to clean off the satellite dishes, ya begin the annual "cuss the weather" sprees.  Maybe I should ask Amos if he builds satellite dish roofs.

WET ruled the day yesterday. No geocaching, no leaf raking, some leaf sweeping on the deck with its roof, quick trips with the dogs for their outdoor runs and a trip to town cuz, after all, driving around in a dry car keeps one's mind occupied and out of the slop.

For a moment, even the car seemed to have the drips.  For a moment I wondered if the Suburu had a leaky roof.  Then, I realized that the water drops falling on my right arm were coming from the rim of my baseball cap every time I lowered my head.

Big relief.

So yesterday's agenda definitely included the rainy day projects.  I did a little more touch up in the barn where the afternoon before, Harvey and his helper had stacked some bales in specific piles----alfalfa here, grass hay here and Gail's hay here.

There's something very pleasant and comforting about a barn with a few hay stacks, especially if the sweet aroma of alfalfa is wafting through the interior.  I enjoyed the few minutes spent tidying up the place that hadn't gotten much attention for the past several months.

I also enjoyed spending part of the afternoon baking some oatmeal cookies from scratch.  It seemed like an oatmeal cookie kind of day, and the three cookies devoured indicated to my tastebuds that I'd made a good choice.

I also sampled Cis' chocolate zucchini bread and immediately sent her a note asking for "the recipe."  Seems there's a lot of flexibility with the zucchini recipe, so I'm looking forward to trying it and adding a touch of my own.

Cis has some of my quinces, and I'm sure she's gonna come up with something good as she gives quinces a try for the first time in her life. 

Bill and I topped off the rainy day and evening, watching two teams fight a dismal battle against more formidable foes.  Sad to see Oregon, which had looked so good, fall to Stanford.  Sad to see Annie's Sounders, fall to my friend Chad's Timbers.

In both cases, the first half spelled doom and gloom.  In both cases, when I turned the channel, the doom and gloom turned to hope. 

Too little too late, though, as Oregon fell 26-20 and the Sounders fell 3-2.  Mind you, I have no animosity for Stanford or Portland.  Both are fine teams, and both deserved to win last night. 

In both cases, I just wanted to see fully spirited contests from start to finish. 

The rain has almost stopped this morning, but I must report that all that rain and snow has not put out the big slash fires up on the mountainside. They're smaller but still glowing brilliant red flames in the darkness.

Right now, with daylight, I just see the smoke plumes.  Goes to show that fire can be a stubborn element.  Wonder how long those burns will continue.

We're supposed to have a few days of dry weather, so the indoor agenda, happily, will have to wait for another day, but those oatmeal cookies won't.

Happy Friday.




No comments: