Sunday, November 17, 2013

Winter Days Like This . . . .


If every winter day could be like this one, I would not complain---a bit crisp, a bit of blue sky, a moon lighting up the morning sky, enough snow to dress up the landscape, not enough to make life difficult. Could even be a good picture-taking day.

Yesterday was a mess, generally speaking.  I plowed up a lot of wet snow, but along with it came black stuff---a mixture of rocks, sand and dirt.  Plowing worked well, but it definitely wasn't pretty.

Along the side of the road, snow was gray and wet and mushy.  I know that because I had to step over to the edge several times while taking my daily walk.  No matter how slowly cars went by, their tires still flung wet snowy muck several feet on either side.

I learned while visiting my neighbors at the Meserve Preserve that overnight the wind blew furiously over at their place, leaving lots of limbs and debris on the ground. 

That was surprising to me, but then again, when one sleeps to the constant buzz of a fan, the outside world fades away. 

Still, we had no sign of wild winds at our house BUT when the dogs and I went for a walk in the woods, I saw that the wind was fairly selective in doing its damage.

All tolled, we had two thin trees break off and fall to the ground and two others which looked like they had attempted gymnastic feats by bending from the sky to the ground.

The remainder of woods, however, looked like it had been a quiet night.  I also learned about all the power outages when Willie and Debbie came for a visit and said they hadn't had power since 4 a.m.

Guess we pretty much lucked out in comparison to most other folks around the area. 

After the wild weather night, I later learned that it got a bit wild at Wal-Mart yesterday when the store had to be closed down for the full afternoon after an "extortion-related" bomb threat. 

It appeared to me, based on Facebook comments, that this was big news for Sandpoint, sorta like the good ol' days when hot air balloons floating over our quiet town or train derailments with spuds scattered all over creation would bring out the spectators (some with gunny sacks)  seemingly from beneath every rock.

Well, in this case, those of us who had electricity didn't have to go spectate; we were receiving minute-by-minute reports on Facebook of the empty parking lot, the employees coming on at 4 p.m. being told to assemble across the street at Home Depot and relatives speaking with relief to see their family members who work at Wal-Mart coming home safe.

Seems it's a trend nationwide, according to this morning's paper.  Since Friday about half a dozen similar situations have happened across the nation at Wal-Mart stores.  Almost sounds like eco-terrorism. 

On another note, the weather kinda helped me tear into an indoor project or two, and I'm so proud of one of my cupboards this morning---so proud that I still open the doors every time I walk by just to admire it.

It took me about an hour to learn that I sure do have a lot of cloves and that I need to find some more recipes that use Tumeric.  Now, cumin---I don't think I've ever used that container, but it was in there, just as the three bottles of vanilla and all of those Louisiana ingredients Bill bought a few years ago to make gumbo or something like that.

The spice cupboard is squeaky clean now, and if another birthday comes along, I've got candles!  I didn't know I had candles, and didn't know I had so many toothpicks either.

There was added benefit to cleaning the cupboard and throwing away a whole lotta stuff that had been living in there for seven years.  Now, all the assorted munchie bags can hide behind the cupboard doors instead of taking up most of the counter. 

Yes, I have an almost empty counter and a sparkling clean microwave.  At least six wads of aluminum foil went into the garbage bag and the telephone book/recipe book collection sits neatly on top of the microwave.

I can last only so long at doing that domestic stuff, but yesterday presented a "carpe diem" moment for taking on a much-needed cleansing, purging and reorganization.  Maybe the fact that I watched one of those hoarding shows earlier this week influenced me. 

Whatever the case, my spice cupboard is now an object of pride. 

It may be a while before I take on a similar project, but yesterday's efforts paid off in many ways, especially knowing I don't have to run to Wal-Mart for cloves or cinnamon or vanilla while doing the Christmas baking.

Big Seahawks game today.  The Spokesman this morning tells us it's at 1:25 or 4:25.  Take your pick.  I prefer the 1:25 slot cuz the ZAGS are playing at Michigan team called Oakland at 5 p.m.

GO ZAGS!  Happy Sunday.

2 comments:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

I put cumin in my chili.

Anonymous said...

i use cumin on chicken with black beans, in chili,meatloafand soups.
rm