Sunday, December 22, 2013

Just Sugar Plum Stuff and All That . . . .





On this quiet Sunday morning, one of our children is home safely watching TV and nibbling on her pizza.  That would be Annie.

Meanwhile, Willie, Debbie and the grandpups will be on the road today, headed for Boise. 

So, we'll breathe easily when all family members are where they need to be for the upcoming Christmas holiday. 

Yesterday, I picked up Annie at the airport after watching the second half of the ZAGS game in the lounge at Ramada Inn.  I walked in and asked a lady who looked "official" if it was all right to take a table and just watch the game.

"That's what we're doing," she said.

"Oh, you don't work here?" I asked.

"No," she said.  Then, I heard her say to her husband, "Do I look like I work here?"

Feeling like I'd been granted admission to the action, I sat in a chair at a table behind them.  

At first things were fairly subdued.  No noise from anyone in the room . . . just the crowd action and commentating on the TV.

Then, the ZAGS did something not so good, which happened a lot yesterday. 

"Oh, s----!" I heard from the table in front of me.

That was my signal, even though she later apologized for her expletive.  

From that moment on, we invaders did a little commentary of our own.  Nobody else among the clientele seemed to mind, except the bartender who came over and cautioned me to be careful with that table where he had placed a glass of water. 

"Don't spill the water," he advised.

"You didn't need to bring me water . . . I'm a freeloader," I said. 

"That's okay," he said, "just be careful when you slam the table with your hand."

The folks in front of me were from Coeur d'Alene, and they own a house on Bottle Bay. During the course of the game, we exchanged many names whom we know in common: Bill Barlow, Angela Potts Bopp, Larry Wolfe, the Eacrets, etc.  

Along with a lot of other fun facts, I learned they'd gone to the Maui tournament a few weeks ago.

Turns out this couple's daughter was coming in on a flight beFORE the game ended.  She had been instructed to just bring her stuff over to the Ramada.

Turns out my daughter was coming in about game's end.  So, when K-State had 8 points on the ZAGS and only 50-something seconds remained, I shook hands with my new friends and went on my way.

Annie's plane touched down almost the second I reached the terminal. She grabbed her bag.  We walked to the car and---lo and behold---along walked Jim Taylor, our next-door neighbor who was picking up his daughter. 

"Where's your car?" I asked Jim.

"Just down here," he said, pointing west.  

"Well, wait just a minute," I said, opening the hatch to our Suburu.  "Here's your cookie basket . . . make sure some of the cookies get home to Mary."  

Slick as a whistle, that was that.  That delivery checked off my list.

Annie and I climbed in the car and moved on to O'Doherty's, where the waiter told us it had been a bad day for the Inland Northwest----all three teams from the Spokane area had lost their games.

So, we just drowned our sorrows in Irish stew for Annie and another melt-in-your-mouth Maui Wowie for me.  YUM!

"Some days are diamonds, some days are dust," I had repeated a couple of times while watching the end of the ZAGS game.

Well, for the Sandpoint Bulldogs boys and girls varsity, it was diamonds all the way, as both the girls and the boys won their games.

Bill and Debbie joined Annie and me as we watched a great basketball effort from the boys varsity----Willie is serving as assistant coach this year.  Head coach Tyler and Willie have to be very proud of their team,  which has accrued a 5-2 record so far.  

I don't know how many decades it's been since that's happened so early in the year, but it's looking like there may be more diamond days ahead for the team.  

Today we're just hanging out, figuring on seeing more family members as they arrive for Christmas. 

And, so the sugar plum fairies are doing their thing.  Life is good and looking more leisurely.  For that and for many other blessings, I am thankful. 

Happy Sunday.  GO SEAHAWKS!  

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

looks like the Seahawks sealed the deal of doom... by losing theirs as well..