Monday, December 23, 2013

Looking Forward, Reflecting Backward . . . .


Who knows---this may be a two-day installment.  I have sent most of my Christmas cards, and in a few, I promised that "the Christmas letter" would appear on the blog this year.

That decision was all in the effort to reduce pre-Christmas stress.  Seems that other stuff filled up the void, but---oh well---I've survived the stress and am now merely tying up a few Christmas-related loose ends and enjoying a some much-appreciated moments of relaxation.

We've had fun with Annie home; she even put the horses in the barn for me last night, and then we teamed up on figuring out how to get her English toffee slab to set up.  It hardened, but she says this morning, it's still a lot like caramel. 

She's headed for "the mountain" on this snowy day with her friend Kelsi.  We were also happy to learn that Willie and Debbie and the grandpups made it to Boise with no problems. 

Yesterday I finally had a chance to start a project, promised to Bill.  You see, he has a bit of Irish blood; he just doesn't know from where the family roots found their way to Louisiana.  

So, I signed up for the Ancestry.com "trial" offer.  It's one of those show-your-card-up-front trials.  What the heck, though.  It's already been both fun and tedious. 

After searching most of the day yesterday, I finally narrowed down some information which showed that one of his ancestors on his father's mother's side hailed from Drogheda, County Louth, which is north of Dublin. 

Patrick Wale came from "Irlend" in the early 1800s and arrived in New Orleans.  Later, Patrick found his way to Rapides Parish in Southwest Louisiana. 

So, that was a gem, to say the least.

We now know, as we look forward to our upcoming trip to Ireland in April that the Brown's hail from Kerry, Mayo and Clare Counties, while Mother's roots stem from County Donegal in Northern Ireland.  

And, now Bill has a splinter of information, which adds another Irish county to the mix. Maybe we'll learn a lot more by April.

In some earlier research, I have also learned that Buncrana, in County Donegal, provided the setting for John Newton's inspiration as he wrote the lyrics to "Amazing Grace."  

Newton was an English slave trader who survived a storm in that area and later thought about how God's grace saved "a wretch like me." 

The area has held at least one "Amazing Grace" Festival.  Last year the festival was held during the same week we plan to be in Ireland.  Maybe there will be another this year. The area also dedicated an "Amazing Grace" viewpoint. 

So, do we plan to visit there?  Of course!  I think Mother would be proud to know what we have learned and what we intend to do one portion of her homeland. 

Yes, we're looking forward, but it's fun to think that some of our forward thinking dates back a few centuries. 

As I look back on this year, I find it hard to sum it all up:  profound loss(ses) of family, close friends and even a beloved kitty (yes, Fuzzy Wuzzy rallied but kidney failure overpowered her will to live).   

I'm also touched by moments of great inspiration through travel, at-home developments, new approaches to old traditions with family.  A multitude of memorable moments with dear friends and loved ones who've played a part in my life are all special.  

And, the new friends-----so many this year and all so treasured. 

It's a good life, for sure, and this year has certainly offered a potpourri of experiences testing my resolve in some ways but making me more appreciative than ever for how lucky I am to be surrounded by such incredible beauty, family, animals and friends.

Yup, in this first installment of "the Christmas letter," I'd say it's a "wonderful life" and I'll cherish every day that it continues to be.  Amazing Grace!  

Happy Monday. 

No comments: