Monday, January 13, 2014

January Joys

 It doesn't take me long to get itchy feet in January.  When those feet go slippin' and slidin' around the house, the road and the fields, I like to load up and go elsewhere. 

I'd watched enough football and beat down walking trails enough in the wet hay field. Plus,  "I'll Fly Away" not only sounded better on my banjo, but the folk classic just kept giving me ideas:  fly away.  So, that's what I did yesterday, along with Mr. Foster.  We stopped by the laundromat to pick up a sweater.  Then, I purchased a latte from Starbucks and stopped by Samuels Store to get some beef treats for Foster.  We spent most of our time looking for beauty in January blah-ness around McArthur Lake.  Bill tells me that the extensive and beautiful Wyman property north of McArthur Lake, with all those "NO HUNTING" signs, does have walking trails open to the public. Our family knew Les and Vi Wyman way back when----it was a Hereford connection as they also raised horned Herefords, and if memory serves me correctly, my brother may have even had a fat steer that came from their ranch near Naples. Bill also helped out with the process when the place was set aside forever as a refuge.  Next time, I'll check out some of those pathways and maybe even go find that geocache Bill and Willie put out a few years back.  As for yesterday, short walks along the shoreline and the dock sufficed, and they netted enough pretty little sights to snap a photo or two, even a self portrait as I looked into the icy water alongside the dock. Beauty can be found even on the ugliest of January days, especially those days when enough football is enough! Go Seahawks and Broncos! Wouldn't that be a great Super Bowl?????











The day evolved from kinda pretty to "all-time ugly" with sloppy snow falling when I arrived home, so I went out to the hay field to find one more good picture.  Kiwi supplied it for me. 

No comments: