Sunday, January 12, 2014

What the "L"? That was EZ!


Ooooooops!  I mispeled "easy" in my title. That's not nice, especially when Im a former English teacher. 

Its also not nice that Staples is going around spelling it's name wrong all the sudden. 


I told Bill yesterday that the national office-product franchise's new commercial, which may just out trump thier "That-Was-Easy" button campaign, was so stupid that it was clever and probably pretty effective. 


For those who haven't seen the commercial, you can watch it at http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7fsY/staples-what-the-l-featuring-jarret-stoll


You'll also see by comments posted below the commercial that some people have decided not to shop at Stap es anymore because they find the commercial offensive. 

Well, it's contents don't bother me enough to launch an all-out personal boycott.

Nonetheless, I have zeroed in on the commercial this morning cuz it reminds me that spelling things rite is still important to enough folks in our society that when someone screws up on speling, people notice. 

Granted there are a few spelling errors in this posting, but that's just because I like to take blog-atic licence from time to time. 

After all, this is my blog, and I have a license to form a word any ol' way I like.  Usually, however, I do like to stick with the accepted standards within our society and spell stuff right. Or, should that be "stuf"?

What the "F"?

Ooops!

Actually, in all seriousness, the reason I've brought up the Staples commercial is that this weekend my sister gave me a 78-page packet with all the rules and regulations and words included for the 2014 Scripps National Spelling Bee.

I started studing it yesterday cuz my sister also volunteered me to serve as the official "pronouncer" at her school's spelling bee this coming Wednesday. 

Now, those 3-letter words like "rug" don't seem so bad, but I spent a little time yesterday afternoon pronouncing words for Bill with a lead-in question, "Have you ever heard of _________?"

Silence would follow.

"How do you spell it?" he'd ask.

Of course, with the list right in front of me, I spit those letters out quickly and clearly (after all, enunciating is important for a pronouncer, right?).  

More silence from Bill followed by a sense of relief for me (How do you spell relief, or iz it 'r-o-l-a-i-d-s'?).

Did I get that punctuation right?

Well, anyway, I felt pretty relieved each time Bill had never heard of the words uttered during my living-room poop quiz. 

The main reason:  I'd never heard of them either. 

My sister tells me I can skip over a word if I don't think I'm gonna spit it out just right. That's reassuring. 

Still, I've got studing to do before Wendsday, and I'd better get at it. 

In the meantime, this posting can be concidered a pop quiz, so please review what's been said and pick out all the misspelings.  

Of course, once you do, please spell each word ten times correctly. 

Then, you can write a letter to Staples and tell them what you think about that missing "l."

No comments: