Sunday, February 09, 2014

Of Purple and Pens and Hexes . . . .


My desk here is fulled with papers and a dead purple-ink pen.  It's been a weekend of editing, and I'm far from finished.

If all goes well, by day's end, the three forestry reports (about 30 pages each) will have their first run-through of my hen scratches----in this case purple. 

Who wants to see red all the time when it comes to writing?  Besides, I don't have a red pen, so I grabbed what was working at the time. 

I'll finish the reports and then start on another project focusing on a job application process. And, during that process, February will move faster.

It's nice to have these indoor projects in the dead of winter, when there's no lawn to mow nor weeds to pull.  

The great aspect of these particular editing assignments is that my body can stay warm and comfortable while my mind drifts off outdoors to various land parcels in the area where trees grow and wildlife graze.  

Editing, though, tedious, provides a nice escape. 

We'll probably escape to the outdoors for real today while helping Willie and Debbie show some New Yorkers around the area.

Cherita and Chris have completed their mission here in Sandpoint as POAC performers for the weekend, and today is their day for fun. 

So, a little later, we'll all get together and decide where they need to go and what they need to see. One stop, for sure, will be the Lodgepole aka God tree in the far pasture.  

Yes, another Lodgepole Society induction will take place; plus there are plans for petting horse noses here at the Lovestead and at my sisters'.  Cherita says she loves horses, so we'll introduce her to a few. 

We'll top off the tour at Second Avenue Pizza because, in their travels, they like to know the "must go" eating establishments.  On Friday, one of the students told them they'd better get a Dubs burger before leaving town.  

We love showing visitors around the area, so I'm looking forward to the day ahead.

Not a whole lot else on my mind except that the editing will be turning from purple to black ink as soon as I pick up the next pen.  If all goes well, I won't have two empty pens sitting on my desk when these reports are complete.

Speaking of purple, I'm gonna have to investigate the possibilities of a suggestion stemming from a comment I made on Facebook about last night's ZAGS loss to Memphis.  

I simply stated that the positive vibes would need to be stronger for this week's ZAGS games.

My friend Moreen said that was the wrong approach.  Instead, she suggested inflicting the "Gary Gerken Purple Chicken Hex" on opposing teams.   

Having never heard of such a tactic, I inquired as to what the heck a Gary Gerken Purple Chicken Hex was.

To which Moreen replied:  Gary Gerken was graduate of about 1955 and a close friend of Don Leen .  . . and a very colorful personality. 

 Don Leen (Moreen's brother-in-law) has the most success at administering the hex on opponents of his teams. 

Just put the hex with a few words and try it. It can't hurt,  and it might work. Kenney (Moreen's hubby) swears by it. 

And, yes,  the escapades of that bunch would fill a book and make some entertaining reading.

To which, I must agree, knowing Kenney and having read some of his adventures while growing up in Sandpoint.

So, if you're out there and a ZAGS fan, work up a little purple chicken hex of your own this week in honor of Gary Gerken and to help out the team.  

After all, we're approaching March Madness soon! Hexes to vex the opposite team may just do the trick!

Happy Sunday. 

No comments: