Tuesday, March 18, 2014

All in a Day's Work for Teachers


Students in Miss Tibbs' class at Farmin/Stidwell crafted "God's Eyes" yesterday as an enrichment activity stemming from a Native American book Sing Down the Moon, which they read in class.

The weaving project involves spiritual contemplation while weaving yarn around four sticks and creating a unique color combination.

Once their God's eyes are completed, they will enlarge upon the project by turning them into mobiles with symbols from the book.

My sister invited me to come and assist and to take photos.

I was amazed that the God's eyes are actually easy enough for a klutz like me to figure out.  It was a fun hours, especially watching how the colors evolved into attractive creations.

Before leaving, I did learn that the project had a touch of Irish for St. Patrick's Day; the book's author is Scott O'Dell.

Thanks to Laurie for inviting me.  I'm glad I went.   
 



After participating in "God's eye" crafting at Farmin/Stidwell, I drove to the high school for the first school assembly I've attended since retiring in 2002. It was fun to see so many former students serving on the Sandpoint High School staff, including my son Willie.

Dr. Becky Kiebert invited me because she had decided to bestow an honorary doctorate on Willie.  Willie's Cedar Post editor Tyson Bird helped with the ceremony by outlining all the different facets of Willie's contributions to the high school, including the newspaper, graphic arts, photography and coaching, among other things.  I think he's also known as the Costco Muffin Man.  

Well, now he's also officially known as "Dr. Love."  And, when you've become an honorary doctor or even when you're a classroom teacher, high school kids have something in store for you.

Serving as a guinea pig for the fun at school assemblies often falls into teachers' job descriptions, and Willie, along with his colleagues, did just that yesterday.

It had something to do with "taking care of the baby."  Some babies were large balloons which needed their diapers changed.  Some needed to crawl across the gym floor really fast and then hand off the baton to the "hungry babies" who needed food---baby food, of course.

So, Dr. Love got his afternoon snack and when it was all over . . . . 



. . . . they called him "Dr. Yellow Beard."  

No comments: