Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bracketitis and Bonker Behavior


Our horses will go to Spokane tomorrow rather than Friday as originally planned, and there's no "horsely" reason for that decision.

I just received word from Monty, the trainer,  that it would be okay to move Lily and Lefty's transport date up by a day.  After all, Monty understands.

I swear that Monty called me on speed dial the other night when the ZAGS nailed their tournament championship.  

Final buzzer sounds; telephone rings.

It's Monty, having to share the excitement with someone. 

And, share we did!

So, when I sent Monty a note yesterday, asking if it was all right to deliver the horses on Thursday rather than Friday AND pointing out that the ZAGS play Oklahoma State at 1:40 p.m. Friday----a time that screws up anyone's day---he understood.

Monty knows how insane I am about all things ZAG, and he would be too, if he didn't have to work at the stables while the ZAGS play Oklahoma State Cowboys Friday. 

He wrote me a note this morning and said it was fine.  

So, Lily and Lefty will head off for their month of spring boot camp a day early, and I'll be planted on my couch at 1:40 Friday, probably cussing part of the time.

We always cuss when those network sports gods cut out of our game to show us someone else's game.  

I'm hoping that I don't have two reasons to cuss:  the cut-outs and screw-ups.  The ZAGS have got to be ON THEIR GAME Friday because Oklahoma State is a force, especially with their star, Marcus Smart.

I want the ZAGS to win because I love the ZAGS, but, of course, we basketball fanatics suffer from another affliction during March Madness. 

It's called Bracketitis.  

It lasts only as long as your teams keep winning-----a lot of your teams.  There's money in them thar brackets. 

I enjoyed a taste of cold cash winnings last year when I tied for first place in the annual, not-to-be-named pool.  

I have an agent, named Dr. Yellow Beard (check yesterday's posting), who takes my money and sees that it gets into the pot.  He also hands over my winnings, and if he's nice, I might give him a tip.

Last night I tried to give him $6 of the $10 I owe him for my two brackets, but he wouldn't take it.  

"Give it to me tomorrow," he said, "all of it---cuz I'm not handing over part of what you owe."  You see he's even a middle man to the main pool operator.

And, the main pool operator decided to go tech on us this year. For the first time ever, we have to fill out our entries on a CBS site.  

I can see why.  It's pretty easy, and whenever our teams win or lose, our brackets automatically update, making us happy or making us decide to throw up our hands in disgust and say "To Hell with March Madness."

To get over my bracketitis, my chosen teams must lose.  In one scenario, I may also get over this year's case of March Madness.

If Gonzaga loses to Oklahoma State and a bunch of those other teams that I picked to win Thursday and Friday lose, I'm done!  

Cuz at that point I immediately transform into a fickle soul who no longer cares about who's gonna win that $10 I put in the pot, and I only care PASSIONATELY about Gonzaga.  

Oh, granted I do like a lot of the other teams, but the fire in the belly will quickly turn to ashes if we have no ZAGS to cheer on.

And, if I'm failing miserably at my prognostications early on, there's not much reason to get excited from that point on. 

The other scenario is definitely a "How Sweet It Is," especially if Gonzaga makes it to the Sweet Sixteen.  Heck, I don't even care about my $10 gamble if that happens. 

Speaking of gambles, you don't even have to put money in the pot to win Warren Buffet's billion, BUT you do have a fill out a form for Quicken Loans. 

They're gambling on the fact that only 21 of those millions signing up for Buffet's billion will take home money to pay off their homes.  I learned yesterday that if you're in the top 20, you get $100,000. 

So, Warren Buffet puts out 1 billion, 2 million dollars, and Quicken Loans has access of millions of desperate people still trying to pay off their mortgages.  What a deal!

I started filling out the Buffet's Billion form this morning and wanted to type in capital letters I DON'T HAVE A MORTGAGE SO DON'T PUT ME ON YOUR LIST---JUST GIVE ME THE BILLION. 

But technology won't let us do that.  We still have to trade our privacy for our greedy desire to win a wad of money. 

I'm still not sure if I want to go for the billion.  I'm thinking if Annie has already done that, she may be kind enough to share with her family members.  So, maybe I'll avoid that added symptom of bracketitis.

Yes, life is crazy at this time of year, but it's kinda fun too, and I'm sure my horses aren't gonna mind a bit if they can escape their barnyard mudhole for the "cush life" in Spokane one day early.  

After all, they're ZAGS fans too, and they'll understand!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I already had a yahoo account, so they didn't make me fill out any info for Quicken Loans…I'm guessing it just means I'm already on their mailing list. But my Yahoo account is a junk email account that I never check.

Annie