Thursday, April 03, 2014

Cliffs, Taxes and Rocks Aplenty

Birthday Kids:  Bill and Margaret show off their woolen birthday gifts during a family conference in Killarney before we headed off yesterday for the day's adventure, which included several scenic vistas along the west coast of Ireland, including the Cliffs of Moher.

 Before the beauty, though, came the drab scenes around the Shannon Ferry.  During our 45-minute wait, though, I took my camera and once more found that there is beauty and fascination to be found in all things, if we just look a little closer.  Some pretty flowers are blooming within nondescript settings around the ferry, as seen below. 











Ancient island home available if you can figure out how to get to it.  Off the west coast of Ireland. 

Of course, there's always time for selfies. 

Willie enjoying some photographing delight.

Probably Ireland's most photographed scene:  the Cliffs of Moher. And, it was at this place that I must interject the story of a telephone call I received yesterday from Sandpoint.  I did not recognize the number, so, while standing atop a hillside overlooking the cliffs, I answered.  The lady at the other end was calling from our tax preparer's office.

"I'm standing at the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland," I said, "so you'd better make it fast."

"Your taxes are ready," she said.

"How much do we owe?" I asked.

Let's just say it was substantial.

Later, someone said it maybe wasn't a good idea for the lady to tell me that information while I was standing at a cliff.

Agreed.

Our tax bill was just as stunning as the scene, but, after a couple of gulps, I withstood the temptation to avoid paying this year's taxes and just kept enjoying the scenery

O'Brien's Tower at the Cliffs of Moher

Bill, Debbie and Margaret at the tower. 


Rocks aplenty in Ireland.  This is at a geocaching site where Annie recorded a find. 

More stunning beauty to the north of the main Cliffs of Moher.



Kids posing on a cliff ledge. 

Before the call from the tax preparer:  Bill and me. 

In the Burren where rocks far outnumber sheep in Ireland.

Our day ended in downtown Galway with a birthday dinner for Bill and Margaret at Brasserie on the Corner---fabulous meals and phenomenal service, topped off with dessert and a "when I'm 64" reminder for the twins.

Today I'm feeling kinda sad, despite the wonders of this trip:  Willie and Debbie have to leave us and head home to regroup and to prepare for next week's trip to San Diego with Sandpoint High student journalists.

So, that will be a difficult good bye, but Margaret, Bill, Annie and I will continue on to Northern Ireland (including Buncrana, home to the inspiration for "Amazing Grace" and my mother's ancestors) and Derry and the Giant's Causeway.  We'll end up in Dublin in a couple of days.

So, the "grand" adventure continues.

Happy Thursday from beautiful Ireland. 

No comments: