Saturday, May 31, 2014

Spring Seens











My morning walk took me around the farm on this last day of May.  Chores came a little earlier than usual this morning because John Fuller is coming around 8:30 to reset some shoes on the horses. 

So, picture taking began at the garden.  I do my gardening the old-fashioned back-breaking way. 

One would think that I'd get with the program and fix some raised beds and all that good stuff, but my veggies still just go in the ground in rows.  Guess I'm always in too much of a hurry to get stuff growing to spend time coming up with new methods. 

These days, I do make the distance between my rows fairly narrow so it's easier to hoe those weeds. Yesterday I made it through all the rows removing weeds for the first time this year, and the garden looks pretty to my eye. 

With abundance of grass clippings coming from that new mower and bag, I'll probably give myself a break from weeding by putting clippings down each row. 

Everything in the garden is up, including some new strawberry plants, and, with a few days of warm weather coming, the plants ought to take off in the next few days.

By the way, my manure-pile pumpkin plant for 2014 is up and growing.  

As I moved on from the garden with my walk, I had to smile while eyeing the new-old motor home parked in its summer spot behind the barn.  Bill took it out for a spin the other night, and it will go for "summerizing" at Lake RV on Monday.

We've offered it to my friend Kari for the week of horse camp at the Bonner County Fairgrounds in mid-June.  As my sisters, its former owners, said, they bought it because it was ideal for horse activities cuz it's old and it's seen more than its share of muddy feet and tired bodies. 

In July,  the RV may serve as a temporary home for some folks coming to Sandpoint for the Fourth.  It's nice to have it around for such things, and maybe once in a while, we'll use it ourselves. 

Moving on, an earlier scene at the far shed where the old Ford tractor sits had actually inspired me to go to the house to get my camera.    

This morning the sun rays were enhancing the 60-year-old classic, just as they were Bill's wood pile.  

The tractor is out of commission until we can find a new back rim and tire.  The rim pretty much died from rust, and the tire went flat last summer.  I have a feeling that getting the tractor up and running will be an upcoming summer project. 

Our dogs looked beautiful this morning as they frolicked through the thick and fast-growing hay.  A breeze was blowing and the ground was dry, so I walked across the hay field through the tall grass into the woods.

This is truly the time of the year when those morning walks are so exhilarating for the body and such a pleasure to the eye.  

Farm life at its best!

Happy Saturday. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad those dogs can't realize that they are pampered beyond all limits and live like kings and queens at the Lovestead! Lucky and loved!