Friday, June 06, 2014

Best of Times . . . .









I decided to lead off with a photo of Dan Butler, educator retired, turned substitute bus driver.  Today marks a significant day for Dan, our neighbor down the road.  His wife Debi is putting in her last day with students at Farmin-Stidwell Elementary School.

Dan spent this first year of retirement driving bus two or three days a month, but he says it may not be quite so often with Debi home this next year.   They might do some traveling in something other than a yellow school bus.

Anyway, I’m aware of a few other friends saying good bye to students for the last time today:  Yogi Vasquez at SHS, Jeannie Braun at Southside (we met when her son and my son were born the same day 37 years ago) and Julie Keaton at Kootenai Elementary.  

Julie would chuckle at my boast that she may have done a lot of good things as a teacher, but she NEVER taught the Pope (that’s explained in my book Lessons with Love).

I’m sure I missed a few retirees, so I’ll wish the best of luck to them all----wonderful people and fully deserving of accolades and a future life filled with fun.

This 12-year-out retiree took advantage of a beautiful June day and pointed the car toward Bonners Ferry yesterday afternoon.  Stops included the Naples Store for coffee, the Bread Basket Bakery for some book business and a load of fresh baked goods and Super 1 for ice cream and a box of fried chicken for dinner.

Some chicken still remains and the bag of cookies from Bread Basket Bakery is almost gone. 

Along the way---part of it along the old highway along Deep Creek, I was struck with the magnificent yellow blanket in a farm field just off the road.  So, I took a picture.

While driving, I listened to FM 88.5, Sandpoint’s community radio, where my daughter-in-law Debbie will be interviewed tomorrow morning at 9.  They’re involved in their annual pledge drive, so if you’re local and want to help them out, I think they’ll take your money through Sunday.

I enjoyed the programming while taking in the stunning views of the Kootenai Valley.  The stop at the Bread Basket was followed by a pleasant drive through some beautiful farm country up on the north bench.  That’s where our dad grew up.

Of course, the field of horses caused me to stop the car, get out and take a few pictures.  I did not get out to snap those gorgeous iris which were growing around a mailbox.
With my reputation for youthful mail pilferer, I thought it wise to stay in the car to take the picture. 

I think Bill was pretty happy to hear about the box chicken and bakery goodies.  We watched the news and enjoyed every bite.

Later, I saddled up Lily for the first time with her second shoeing.  Bill was waiting for the Schwan’s man so he happily snapped some photos of us out in the hay field. 

Lily and I then mosied on down the road to the cacophony of Lefty racing around the barnyard and screaming in protest that he didn’t get to go.

It was a lovely evening ride, complete with a brief visit with my neighbor and old Lincoln School friend, Craig Lewis. 

Yup, we’re definitely in the best-of-days mode after incurring the worst.  I like these days a lot better than Tuesday. 


Happy Friday.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you might live a little bit in heaven.