Thursday, June 05, 2014

Damage, Dessert and New Chapter for the New Old Motorhome



Genevieve, Lauren, Kari, Sage and Bill get ready to enjoy dessert in the New Old Motorhome

We're still in the age of discovery regarding Tuesday's hail storm, and we're not alone in our moping over the losses.

Pretty much everyone in this neighborhood who had a garden going outside discovered they'll have a major setback with losses of strawberries, rhubarb, lettuce, cabbage, etc. 

Yesterday I discovered that more than half of my little plums had been pelted to the ground. Blueberries took a hit as did apples.  In fact, I think only one of my three trees has apples remaining.  The rest are gone.

Twasn't just gardens, though, and I'm guessing we're not alone with other damage discoveries.

I took the dogs to their run yesterday afternoon. Oddly enough, after the wild storm the jar filled with doggie biscuits still sat on the board above their shelter.

I was feeling pretty good about that because I often find it on the ground after a storm. When I grabbed it to give out five promised biscuits, I did not have to remove the lid.

The hail storm created a hole big enough for me to reach in and discover soggy biscuits mixed with broken shards of plastic. Dogs were not thrilled with soggy biscuits.

Later, while commiserating with my neighbor Mary while parked at the end of her driveway, I started to tell her the story of how hard the hail stones were pelting my wind shield.  

In the midst of a sentence, I looked at the wind shield and discovered that the crack on the drivers side had doubled in size and was making its way across the wind shield. Last night we looked at it again and discovered that it was taking up yet another path. 

Windshield repair bill coming up!

During the day, I figured I'd move the new old motorhome from its spot behind to the barn to a more accessible location.

My friend Kari, her daughter and another mother-daughter team will be using the motor home as their housing during the upcoming horse camp in mid-June. They were coming to the Lovestead last night to get acquainted with the RV and its "luxury" features. 

Bill had taken the motor home to get it summerized and had been tidying it up, knowing they were coming. 

When I stepped into the motor home, I noticed wet floor rugs.  Looking up, I thought, "Bill left the vent open, so we have wet rugs."

The toilet in the bathroom was wet too.  I looked up to see another open vent.  So, I took the rugs out to dry and did a little more tidying up. 

Later, I returned the rugs to the motor home and told Bill he must have left the vents open.  

"I hope the storm didn't break them," he said.

Well, hopes of that were dashed as we walked toward the motor home and could see framework with no plastic. 

What I had thought were leaves in my cursory glance at each vent turned out to be broken shards of plastic, just like the doggie biscuit jar.   

Repair bill coming up for both vents.

We forgot our sorrows, though, when Kari and her group came to meet the New Old Motorhome. They loved it, and they're excited to have it for camping out at the fairgrounds in a couple of weeks.

In preparation for Kari's visit, I prepared a dessert of apple/blueberry cobbler with ice cream.  And to add a touch of luxury, I used the family silver tray to serve the goodies.

We enjoyed a great visit last night.  It was definitely a good way to end of day of "literally picking up the pieces."  

My neighbor Mary and I both plan to snip back all our shredded lettuce in hopes it will put on some regrowth. Mary says cabbage probably won't come back.  

It looks like fruit in the Selle Valley this year might come at a premium.  

In spite of all the problems associated with five minutes of pounding hail, the neighborhood still looks beautiful this year, and I noticed this morning that the daisies waited until after the storm to open up.

They're pretty even if they ARE a weed.

Happy Thursday. 

No comments: