Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday Miscellany

Hard to believe this is the last day of June.  It has zipped by SO fast, but during the month my corn has been growing----in spite of hail storms and a whole lotta rain.

Not many times in my life---actually, this may be the first---have I been able to boast of "knee high by the Fourth of July" corn.

Barring no tornadoes or rare marble-sized hail stones or deer jumping over the garden fence or moles eating the roots and pulling it into the ground, I may be able to boast about this year's corn.

The key, however, will be what's on the ears come late August.  I've been growing some mighty pretty corn the last few years, but, like tomatoes, it's not the plant that counts.  When you get those ears that made especially for folks with missing teeth, it just ain't fun.

Bill and I still have our teeth, so we like to bite into a whole row of juicy, sweet kernals when we have our corn on the cob.

I tried a different brand of seeds so we'll see what this year produces.  For now, it's just nice to be able to boast about corn on the Fourth of July. 

My sister and I talked the other night about how frustrating it is to see pictures and not have lens enough to get anything beyond a speck in the midst of a big landscape.

After I dropped off my sisters from our spontaneous photo run, I saw this guy standing a long way across Eva Whitehead's field.

It was getting dark, but I climbed out of the car anyway, and decided a speckuva bull elk in the velvet was better than just talking about seeing a bull elk in Eva's field.

The big guy watched me with interest while I snapped a couple of pictures, and then (below) he decided enough was enough and jumped over the cross fence.

I took a picture of that, too, and decided to just plain cheat on the photo, blowing it up and using a few visual effects to make it more interesting.

Of course, his form in going over the fence was interesting enough.

It was a thrill to see this big guy at this time of year, quite content to enjoy his solitude out in the field. 


I forgot to add this photo to my collection yesterday.  I liked it enough to add it to the mix today.  Something about the cow and the crooked tree and the daisies and the mist and just the moment appealed to my senses.

So, there she is in all her glory just after sipping some water from the pond at the Meserve Preserve.

This morning is so different from yesterday---quiet, a bit somber but hopeful.  Maybe later the overcast skies will open, and the sun will reappear.

At least it's not raining, so maybe I mow the rest of my lawn today.

This is the beginning of the busy season of summer with company here, company coming, the Fourth of July, a horse show to announce July 12-13 and garden  and fruit plants, coming on strong, requiring harvest.

Back to staying on task and having to squeeze in quick peeks at what's happening in those World Cup Soccer matches. Hard to walk away from them, though, cuz they have a way of sucking one in.

Tomorrow, I'll work around the USA vs. Belgium match and probably do more than peek.

Go, USA.  Happy Monday to all.

  

1 comment:

thulannguyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất hiện nay.