Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Company's Comin'








My blogging may be erratic the next few days cuz company’s comin’, and I have a feeling my disciplined schedule may falter a bit.

This morning I read in the paper that Susan Baldwin was among several 4-H-ers who attended 4-H Club Congress in Moscow 50 years ago.

Serendipitous that she should be showing up in Sandpoint after several years and have her name appear in the local paper.  

Yes, my longtime friend Susie/Sky is on her way from Missoula where she drove up from Colorado to help celebrate her dad’s 92nd birthday.  

And, since she was in the region, she decided to tack on a visit to Sandpoint.

I’m thrilled, to say the least.

After all, it’s been at least ten years since her last visit here to Sandpoint, and it’s been much more than those 50 years that I’ve known her.

Susie/Sky is one of those special friends that stays in your radar for life, even if a few years dribble by between visits.  

I think the longest stretch may have been seven years.  That one ended when Bill, Willie, Annie and I dropped in on her at her beautiful Hand Hewn cabin above Lima, Mont., back in the ‘80s.

We’ve kept a pretty good schedule of visits since then; in fact, we saw her in Wisdom, Mont., last October.
 
This visit will be very special, however.  Susie’s never been to our new home, and during the cool parts of the day, we’re gonna arrange a horseback ride on Lily and Lefty down the road----just like the good ol’ days on North Boyer so many years ago when she lived in the red house at the fairgrounds and we lived just north of the airport.

A permanent trail was carved along that road as we walked or rode our horses back and forth between her house and ours.

So, today, let the nostalgia begin.  Susie’s arrival will add to the womenfolk enjoying each other while the “menfolk” are off fishing in some remote spot on the St. Joe River.

Last night the womenfolk ate pizza and with Miss Emma who came up with a new accessory for her little blonde hair.  Twigs in the hair could catch on.  Emma has good taste, with twigs, dirt and even licking the television screen and the refrigerator.

To say she’s pretty entertaining for a yearling would be an understatement.

On my way back home from the “womenfolk” gathering at the Young Love house, I enjoyed the scenes along the road side, including the ubiquitous fields of newly mown or baled hay.
 
It’s the height of summer season and the annual long work days for farmers gathering their winter supplies.
 
And, it’s definitely fun for all of us as we enjoy the company and all that goes with playing tourist ourselves in this area.


Happy Tuesday, and if the blog is late over the next few days, all is well.  I’m probably having fun with my dear friend and the family.  I’ll do my best, though, to keep some regularity. 

No comments: