Sunday, July 06, 2014

Fun Stuff about a Winner



Major Kevin Van Stone
C-130 Instructor Pilot/Flight Test Director at United States Air Force



I asked Major Van Stone to send me a photo after watching him win $100,000 on the Fourth of July showing of "The Price Is Right."

So, he was nice enough to do so. 

After receiving the photo above, I wrote back, thanking him and telling him that he'd been on a wall near my computer for nearly 20 years.  

Of course, there's a story behind that. 

On Graduation Night, 1995, Willie and I barely made it back to Sandpoint in time to attend his Commencement because we had gone to New York to attend another graduation at West Point.  

That was for Cadet James Patton, USMA Class of 1995 and SHS Class of 1991.  The trip was a graduation present for Willie. 

We stayed with my brother Mike (also a West Point grad) and sister-in-law Mary in New Jersey and, besides the graduation, we visited major points of interest on the East Coast, including Washington, D.C., New York City and Philadelphia.

On our way back, during a layover in Denver, we learned that Spokane Airport was closed due to fog.  So, we ended up flying to Salt Lake City, spending the night and arriving in Spokane around 12:30, WITHOUT luggage. 

Willie still had finals to take on that graduation day, so I dropped him off at school, raced to J.C. Penney's and bought a new outfit----after all, my "dress clothes" were with my luggage.  

Since Willie didn't have time to purchase a new set of dress clothes, he borrowed a shirt and tie from Bill.  I'm thinking he may have been wearing shorts under his cap and gown.

Anyway, after a rollicking and maybe a bit "outlandish" graduation ceremony with beach balls bouncing back and forth among the graduates, the kids had their diplomas and had not yet removed their caps and gowns when picture taking began.

The copy I've had on walls next to my computer in two different homes since 1995 includes five grads from the SHS Class of 1995:  Kevin Van Stone, Deana Raynor, Willie Love, Alana Watkins and Seth Noonan. 

I've always loved the photo, and now that Kevin has distinguished himself one more time---among many---I'm feeling even prouder to have that photograph on my wall. 

As a matter of fact, all those kids in that photo have achieved great accomplishments and have made all their parents very proud.  

One more tidbit:  Kevin has lots of comments on his Facebook page about his Price Is Right winnings.  Here's my favorite from his FB friend, Craig Zanetti:
  
1. Very happy for you!
2. You do not look any taller on television, but you do look solid in HD.
3. The only thing that stinks is even after all your service, Uncle Sam will want his third of you winnings. BS
4. Happy Fourth of July and thank you for serving our country!

I'm sure we all join Craig in thanking Kevin for his service to our country, and we're thrilled for him with his recent good fortune on "The Price Is Right." 

And, thanks, Kevin, for putting up with me and sending your photo!


No comments: