Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Summer Sun and Fun: Clickin' Sisters on the Fly



Weeds grow just as well as flowers on these hot days. 


Dancing with the Garlic!

Service berry Sun

Red sun in morn?  What’s that supposed to mean?  I think it means we’re at the height of the summer. And, that’s pretty apparent with both the calendar and the garden brilliance.

We’ve had “corn-growin’” weather, and another such day lies ahead.  Tom Sherry says it’s gonna be warm all across Washington and Idaho, scarily so in some places.

Our predictions still call for 10 degrees cooler than the Spokane forecast, but Willie told me yesterday there’s a big difference between heat levels between here and Coeur d’Alene.  Debbie and Willie went to Costco the other day and noticed the contrast.

Anywho, my sisters and I are taking care of that by chasing down some fly fishermen on the Coeur d’Alene River today and maybe clicking a photo or two.

Bill and Willie are down there at Avery Cabin, a U.S. Forest Service structure beyond Pritchard.  My sisters have never been down that way, so much of the trip off the Freeway at Kingston will be new territory for them.

We’re taking a change of clothes cuz we might get wet in the river and then use the cabin for changing.  Bill and Willie have temporary use of it while they're fishing, so, of course, we'll take advantage of the situation. 

Here at home stuff just keeps growing.  Sweat rolled off my brow and my whole body last night while picking strawberries, raspberries and shucking peas---none in great amounts.

After seeing the dried up, caked soil in California, though, I’m thankful for any little or big amount of garden produce.

I heard on the news that our average food bills could go up $500 this year because of the draught, so this morning while dragging the hoses around on an earlier than usual watering schedule, I quietly gave thanks for our good fortune to have green grass and plenty of water to quench that garden thirst.

Yay, Oden Water District and Lake Pend Oreille!

Speaking of the calendar, while mowing the lawn yesterday, a bong almost went off in my head when I realized we have ALREADY REACHED July 15.

Where did the first half of the summer go?  I’ve never seen one fly by as fast as this one. Of course, we’ve been on the fly ever since it started.

Used to be, when I was teaching, that July 15 marked a significant turning point for my summer routine, especially in the sleeping in department.  

Knowing that snoozing to 7-7:30 every morning wasn’t gonna pack it once those yellow buses started running and school bells started ringing, I’d start the process of urging myself from morning slumber a few minutes more each day.

By the time school started in late August or September, I did not experience a painful shock to the system of suddenly having to get up at oh-dark-thirty.

It was a good routine, even though these days, oh dark thirty is the rule rather than the exception.  When one does retire, that means one is older and that means one has less life to live, so it’s a good idea to make use of every available waking hour.  

We’ll be slumbering soon enough.

Well, I don’t want to put anyone to sleep with any more babble, and I do have a bit more watering to do before the “Clicking Sisters” gather in the Suburu and see what we can catch with our cameras while Bill and Willie are catching and releasing lunkers on the Coeur d’Alene.


Could be some fun photos tomorrow. 

Happy Wednesday.  Stay cool!

1 comment:

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

The St. Joe area holds such special memories for me. Your sisters will love it, so beautiful. We loved the Marble Creek Area and Hobo Cedar Grove. No place on earth quite like it.

Toni