Friday, August 01, 2014

Friday on the Farm

We have new perspectives here on this first day of August at the Lovestead, thanks to the past few days of the annual hay gathering operation.  

Lori cut, a nice young lady from Bonners Ferry raked, Mason baled and Harvey, the boss, hauled the hay to the barn.

Not a big crop this year, for sure.  In fact, just over half of the usual yield.  It’s been nine years since the field was planted, so it definitely needs a boost.

The hay should be better quality this year, however, because Lori sprayed it for weeds earlier this summer, making each bale pretty solid hay with no weeds.  Ironically, the lack of weeds probably affected the yield.

So, I’ll be buying more than usual.  Lori says we could fertilize next year and get back up to the normal yield.  We’ll decide whether it’s worth it.

Tomorrow some workers will stack the hay in the barn.

That’s where I’ve instituted a pre-emptive strike on the mice in hopes of cutting numbers down so they don’t ruin all the hay again this year.

Seems as if the numbers aren’t really too bad, as the five traps have nabbed just three of the little buggers----a far cry from the four per hour rate over a weekend a few years ago.

So, if I can get the nucleus of the herd, the hay should survive.

With the field cleared, the dogs and I had fun walking its fence line this morning---through some wet grass.

I was able to snap some up close and personal shots of a few of Bert’s herd as they stood and watched me from their side of the fence.

Around the place one can see other indicators of work completed and work that needs to be completed.

The manure pile garden is gradually becoming rather attractive with its taters, squash, pumpkins and lovely petunias. 

Slowly but surely tidy little wood piles are appearing around the woods where Bill and the dogs spend evenings and weekend hours.

Bill has ordered some items to replace the tire and wheel on the old Ford.  He may have to get some work done on the gas tank too, as Tony, our lawnmower repairman, looked at it last week and said the tank may have a crack in it.

Tony was impressed with the tractor, which used to belong to my dad.  He said it’s certainly worth fixing, and we agree.  It’s a beauty and with it come many good memories of family times over the past 60 years.

I picked up paint yesterday, and that fence south of the house could use a little, even though it looked kinda cool in this morning’s sunlight.  I’ll also continue on the barnyard fence until it’s been painted inside and out.

Speaking of fences, my sisters are going to have a beauty, attracting the eyes of passersby on HWY 95.  Could be today that fencemen extraordinaire John Walkington and his son Trevor connect the boards to the posts on a long stretch of attractive white vinyl fence extending along the hillside at their place.

The Walkingtons have been working on several projects around the place, including some other new fence, gates and a second dog run for Barbara and Laurie’s red heelers.
Willie has been teasing his aunts/landladies, calling it the “compound,” now that the fences and gates have sprung up.  Whatever you call it, I think it all enhances the Colburn farm dramatically.

We’re still facing several days of heat and flies for the horses, but for some reason, the fact that the calendar turned over to August this morning seemed to add a touch of comfort in the pleasant morning air.

So, we’re enjoying the good and bad of the hot summer season---most of which is good.

Happy Friday. 

No comments: