Sunday, August 17, 2014

Next . . . .

A touch of Mother as we wore her hats while clerking yesterday's yard sale!





Today is a new day, and I know that's a cliche.  

Nice rhyme though.

The statement seems apt, however, considering the fact that we seem to be virtually turning pages of late, constantly regrouping for the next "thing." 

With the sheer exhaustion of several days of yard/arena sale planning and execution, we've no time to rest, 'cept for when we drop into bed at night.

Our sale netted some extra cash, more giggling than I've done in months, some education from "pickers" who came looking for big-time treasures (in vain), and more work.

I must say that some of the delight came yesterday when my sisters brought the hats and we all wore them for the day.  They were Mother's hats, given to her late in life, and now the property of her daughters.  

Debbie also wore one of Mother's hats, the engineering cap which she purchased while taking the train trip from Sandpoint to Plains a few years ago. To say Mother was with us in spirit yesterday would be an understatement, and I have a feeling she was giggling too. 

I also giggled quietly with Debbie after watching some shoppers, carrying a calculator study virtually every item on every table and rack in the arena.  They must have stayed at least 25 minutes, and then they came to the table.

He handed me ten cents for an item. 

Most work for a ten-cent product I've ever seen. 

Barbara and Laurie sold some more of their handleless implements for one dollar apiece. One lady from Canada wanted to give us a loonie for a one dollar item AND asked us to knock the price down to a quarter. 

No budging on either request.  She was holding on to a twenty, and Debbie more than happy to make change.  So, the "welcome" sign went out the door and one dollar got added to the "profits."   

Anyway, once the sale was done, leftovers had to go back to their original home or to a new home at Goodwill.  

At that point, Laurie announced a feeling of being "overwhelmed" and tired, trying to figure out how and where the leftovers would get to their final destination.  I think it all worked out.  

I know I was thrilled with the ease of dropping off my leftovers to Goodwill.  So much so, I may plan for some weekly trips down that way. 

No rest today.  Entries for Bonner County Fair exhibits must be turned in by 5 p.m. this afternoon.  

My sisters and I all have photography to enter in three different categories.  There IS an advantage to being old cuz I don't have to compete with either one of them. 

This morning I'll finish mounting them for show and will decide which seven of the eleven enlargements will be entered.  Not an easy task because I love them all.

Fortunately, the contest offers different lots with specific themes, so that will help.

I think the only other item I'll take to the fair is the one pumpkin I've been monitoring.  It's not very big, but after comparing notes with Garry Bristow a couple of times this summer, I need to have something to offer. 

The place has plenty of other items that could go, but there's also a myriad of other chores that need attention on the Lovestead after two days of neglect. 

Plus, some plum jelly juice is waiting on the kitchen island to be processed,  corn is ready to eat, and several cukes are beautiful and in prime condition for a summer dinner on the deck.  

By the time we've enjoyed the delights of fresh garden produce and some barbecue, it will be time to start thinking about what's gonna get done tomorrow. 

Swiss Miss aka Laura is coming Tuesday, so I think we all want to make sure our abode are looking good for her arrival.  

Lots to do.  So, happy Sunday to all. 

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

Saw yours, Barbara's and Laura's pictures .. great as always.. I did pretty well picking out Barbara's pictures..and even did pretty well on yours.. Laura's was a surprised.. thought it was Barbara's..
Sorry i missed out on the yard sale, but we were out of town