Monday, August 04, 2014

Monday Morning Storm Report . . . .

Center Valley Road:  Shrefflers

Old North Boyer, the trees from our childhood woods, not far from the mail pilfering site of Pocket Girdles notoriety. 

One of the new holes in my sisters' arena roof. 
Kootenai Church
A Kootenai residence

Foster looks at a downed fruit stand 

Near Meserve's driveway, just north of us. 

Eva Whitehead's meadow. 

Clydesdales at the Parnell Ranch along the Selle curve, making the best out of a bad situation with that new scratching root. 

A mess but nobody hurt. The photos above represent a tiny, emphasize "tiny" amount of the damage from Saturday night's storm. 

I’m still wondering if that lost turkey found its family.  For the third time this summer, I have claimed that “this is the worst storm in this area I’ve ever experienced in my lifetime.”

And, I’d say that each claim has definitely hit the mark.

A couple of weeks ago, the second worst storm of a lifetime lasted but a few minutes but inflicted unbelievable amounts of damage with hundreds of trees blowing over or snapping off to create “battle zones” in patchwork patterns throughout our county and several others.

During that storm the power was off here at the Lovestead for a brief time but for several days in other places.  It was daylight when those winds hit, so we could go out and assess the damage.

At our house, some tin was ripped off the shop roof and a small cottonwood tree blew over.  The yard was a mess, but we had no complaints, especially after seeing the extent of damage in other areas.

Well, Saturday night, while clutching a severely shivering and scared Foster, remaining in the safest parts of the house and wondering if Bill and Willie were gonna make it out of Upper Pack River where they’d gone fishing, I looked out the south living room window.

Amidst branches strewn throughout the yard and as winds were whipping up at hurricane force, I spotted a lone, bewildered turkey standing in the mess, looking around as if to say, “Where is my family?  Where AM I?”

Later, while sitting on the bed in the safe north bedroom, I saw the bird scamper through the front yard.  I also saw portions of the greenhouse fly down the driveway, along with the Big R swimming tubes, one of which lost its air when it landed on Taylor's barbwire fence across the road.  

Still haven't found the door panel for the greenhouse. 

Bill came home safely around 9 p.m. after dropping Willie off at the Colburn Ranch where Barbara, Laurie and Debbie sat out the storm in a car, texting and asking how I was doing and reporting once that they’d seen a pigeon flying backwards.

Shades of a Shakespearean drama foreshadowing an impending murder, if you ask me.

Yesterday morning we could finally assess the Saturday night storm damage after a night with no power where we were fearful to wander too far in the post-storm darkness: more tin ripped off the west side of the shop roof, a funny looking greenhouse, with panels missing from the roof, a giant mess in the yard but, thankfully, nothing too major. 

I took horses to their pastures and then set off down the lane.

A tree top from a spruce between Meserve’s and our place lay in the newly harvested hayfield to the right.  I could also see trees down on the south side of Meserve’s barn, and Bill had reported a tree down and holding down power lines near their driveway the night before.

On down the lane, I could see a tree top over a fence in the far field.  Two deer stood near it as Lily snorted in her pasture, a bit upset with the “intruders.”
As I came to the entrance of the hay field, I spotted a lone turkey, probably the same one from the night before, still a bit disoriented and probably still looking for its family.

Later, as Bill went out to the motor home to make some coffee (still no electricity), I told him I’d be driving around taking pictures of the aftermath.   

I ended up being gone for more than an hour, and while at Sand Creek Conoco and noticing lots of activity, I bought my first cup of coffee.  

I learned later that Bill had to make his coffee on the barbecue grill cuz the motor home had no propane. 

In Ponderay, the convenience store was buzzing with business, especially with customers needing their morning buzz.  One guy walked out with two giant coffee mugs, saying he was stocking up.

Once again, while driving around to take pictures, I was stunned with the enormity of the previous night’s storm.  Between Center Valley Road and Selle Road, half a dozen places along the power lines, giant trees rested and held down the lines.

Wood’s Meats and the pastures south of their place looked like a war zone from this storm. A house on the corner of Boyer and Bronx, surrounded by downed trees and one was resting atop the roof.  The owner said he wasn’t hurt.  Thank God.

The Peach Man on HWY 95 in Ponderay, will, no doubt, have to make an insurance claim, as will hundreds of others.  

Heck, I bet that the insurance companies haven’t even weathered the storm of the last storm.  This morning they’ll start all over again.

Our power was off until 5 yesterday afternoon, and we were so thankful to have it back.  We had done pretty well going back to basics.   And, I’m sure we were among the lucky ones.  

Haven’t heard from my sisters or Willie and Debbie since yesterday.  Their cell phones aren’t working so I’m sure they’re still waiting for the “heroes” to make it to their area.

Those power company people are THE BEST, especially because, again, they probably haven’t even finished up the aftermath of Worst Storm Ever NO. 2.

Last night, it looked like we were returning to normal for a while anyway.

This morning when I went to switch the coffee on (which thankfully I prepare the day before), I heard Bill ask, “Is the water working?”

He knew something I didn’t.

I turned on the faucet, and all I heard was air.

This morning, Bill has taken up residence in the motor home where he has water for his shower and everything necessary to cook breakfast, including blueberry hotcakes.  I think he's enjoying himself. 

The adventure continues as we have no water for the third time in a week.
How many times have I written in this blog, “We live in North Idaho.  We’re resilient, and we adapt.”?

Many times, and once more we’re adapting.
Best wishes to all others around here who have been adapting.

It’s a way of life once again in North Idaho, thanks to Mother Nature.

I wonder if we’re passing the tests which she has been flinging our way this summer.

Happy Monday, and I hope that turkey has found its family. 


Chip Lawrence said...

It sure has been a little trying. We had a 70 foot tree just tag the house. The boys worked long and hard to clear that one after I cut it up.
The biggest mess I saw besides Ponderay was East Shingle Mill. Power lines strewn like spaghetti.

The Airstream trailer just up from Selkirk on Selle looked like a crushed beer can.

total12 said...

The bus with 30 members started off to Nagalapuram, with breaks for tea and breakfast on its way. pool closing nj