Sunday, November 16, 2014

Cold Pack and More

No tubing or kayaking in the Pack River these days.

These two photos were taken just west of the Pack River General Store yesterday afternoon.  One week of frigid temperatures has pretty much shut down any dreams or desires of floating down the river until next spring. 


As I walked back to my car from purchasing my Twix and coffee at the Pack River General Store yesterday, this scene spoke to me----loudly proclaiming the end to another season of  hanging out at the picnic tables between the store and Pack River.

Yup, those leaves have fluttered in the breeze for the last time and have hit the ground to stay for the winter or to disappear after a raking session.

We have definitely begun the blah time of year color-wise, only to be brightened up by new blankets of snow. 

While waiting for the clock to wind down for the big dance evening at The Panida yesterday, I had taken the drive in the lower Pack River area, looking for some fun photos. 

At the store, I had asked my friend and former student Ali if she knew where Lost Lake was.  She wasn't sure but suggested it might be in the area where the elk are.

We have several areas in the Selle Valley with elk in fields, so I presumed Lost Lake, which has a private golf course, was probably on a road not far from the Pack River General Store where I've seen elk in a field.

 I think I was wrong because the road I took wound up a mountain, but never took me to a lake or a golf course.  Of course, it the lake's name is "Lost," what should I expect.

Coming up empty-handed on my Lost Lake adventure, I drove a stretch of the old highway over to French Road where I finally saw Sheri Williams-Remmers' herd of cattle (above and below).  From the highway, they're far off in the field, but French Road offers a better view of what look to me like Highlanders.  Just a guess.

Whatever breed they are, they're cute, and they were pretty curious about the lady who stepped out of her car to snap photos.

In the meantime, this morning, I've looked up Lost Lake on the map and realize that it's closer to where we live than I first imagined.  The map shows Hickey Road, which takes off from Selle Road.  So, today, I'll have to go on another adventure and see if I can find Lost Lake.

Speaking of finding things, my daughter Annie was on a geocaching hike yesterday over near Seattle.  She found the cache(s) and, lo and behold, a family relative (my cousin Sue) who was also out hiking.  





Later in the day, Annie found a rather familiar someone else at the soccer match.  He was wearing his glasses, which is fairly unusual for him when he attends Seattle Sounders matches.  

This is an owner of the Sounders.  I'm guessing he owns the club because the price was right.  

As for fame and glory, there was plenty at The Panida last night.  Dyno Wahl, executive director of The Festival,  won the Sandpoint version of Mirabeau trophy for her "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" routine.  

Willie aka Dr. Love lifted his partner quite well without dropping her on the floor.  I think he scored points for that and points for his facial expressions.  

The judges didn't comment a lot about Willie's footwork, but they were impressed at how he had really heated up the place with his foxtrot to "Fever." 

Sorry I don't have photos or video, but I'll leave you with Peggy Lee, and you can just listen and spend some time imagining Willie gracefully gliding(?) across the Panida stage with his elegant partner.  

Happy Sunday



No comments: