Thursday, January 22, 2015

Just Another Sunny Winter Day in Paradise














I had a meeting in town at 3:30.  I’d already gone on some trails around the place with the dogs on my snow shoes, stopping every so often to soak up the warmth of an intense January sun.

So, it seemed that the 90 minutes or so before the meeting could be spent on downtown walking areas, taking some photos of a beautiful afternoon in Sandpoint.

And, the plan worked out well.

I had my Yak Tracks, so no worries about slipping on ice.
 
At one point, I wished that I’d brought along the snow shoes, but that situation worked out too.  Just about a dozen steps into deep, crusty snow to the east of Trinity Restaurant, and I managed to get a decent angle on that eagle sunning itself in the big tree.

Any walk near our historic railroad depot, which is in the process of receiving a lovely facelift, awakens instant nostalgia within me.

After all, the structure served as the ground zero for our family’s existence here in Sandpoint---now 70 years, come Christmas.

Can’t wait for all the plastic protective wrap shielding workers from weather elements goes away, and the beautifully restored building has its coming-out party for all to behold.

Baldy was looking great as usual as one of Sandpoint’s iconic mountains, overlooking the lake and the community.

When I walked from the depot to the beach, I thought about how many times I’ve seen that view of those stunning Cabinet Mountains across that frigid, beautiful lake in the winter time and have almost gasped out loud at the scene.

Yesterday was no different.  Spectacular.

I saw other people walking with the same accessory protruding from their chests---nice camera, long lens.  In one case, a gentleman, obviously Yak Trackless but carrying camera, long lens and tripod, slipped on the ice and almost crashed to the ground.

God was watching out for him and his camera yesterday because miraculously he caught his fall and moved on to take his pictures.

Everything, it seemed, was beautiful yesterday, but time got away from me, and I had that meeting to attend.  So, I headed back to the car and showed up in time to do some visiting with friends before the meeting.

When the meeting about Sandpoint’s Green Print for the future started, we had to stand and introduce ourselves:  Susan Drumheller, Idaho Conservation League; Eric Grace, Kaniksu Land Trust; Leonard Wood and Brian Wood, both representing cattle and ranching interests, and so on.
 
Land trusts, NRCS, forestry interests, soil conservation staff members, Fish and Game, Back Country Horsemen, municipal and county planners---the group represented a diverse mix of professionals and local residents involved with various land and water uses in the area.

When I had to get up and introduce myself, I could not resist---having scoped out the general ages within the room and having spent part of my afternoon in nostalgic reflection.

“I’m Marianne Love, and I think I’ve lived here longer than anyone in this room.” I announced with a sense of pride.

When ya get to a stage like that in your life, I think you can call it a bittersweet milestone.
 
In addition when you get to such a milestone, and you’re still as much in love with the place as you were as a tiny tot, a meeting such as yesterday’s seems like a good place to be.

May this remarkable area where we are so lucky to live continue to amaze and charm us all into eternity. 

No comments: