Friday, January 09, 2015

Outdoor Splendor and My Buddies





















Yesterday, most of Monday's major snow dump slid off the roofs here at the Lovestead. We still have one side of the barn roof to go, and that may take a while since the temps have gone back down. 

I must say that this particular snowfall had enough bulk that it has caused some worrisome moments with its auto-pilot roof removal. 

The other day, I watched as the huge deposits slid off from each side of our shop.  Dramatic scene in both cases, to say the least.  Wish I had shot some video because it was pretty exciting to watch.  

After enjoying the slide-offs, I went to the plowed-out driveway leading to the barn and found it full of snow at least three feet deep.  Since we had that shop built about six years ago, we've never had the snow from the roof travel that far away from the building.

I thought of how devastating that could have been if the dogs had been trotting through as they often do for their trips to and from the manure-pile smorgasboard. 

Yesterday I came around the house and saw that the snow had slid off the house-shop roof filling a shoveled pathway to at least four feet of caked snow.  

Immediately, I did a head count.  Thank goodness, three dogs and one cat reported. 

Later in the afternoon, what sounded like a shotgun blast next door turned out, apparently, to be another block of snow sliding off another roof with brute force. 

Yup, this particular dump had bulk, and when it came sliding, look out!

Now that most of the work involved with the snow is a memory, it's been fun enjoying its recreational and artistic qualities. 

I broke new paths through the fields and woods with my snow shoes and with my buddies yesterday. During this outing, the stunning sights created by snow and high-octane canine activities were breath-taking.

Doggies were doggone beautiful while playing in the hay field as the sun's warmth and brightness brought out some extra energy for them and me. 

While maneuvering their way through the deep snow in the woods, they appeared certain that a squirrel lurked in the limbs above them.  

That apparent discovery kept them entertained for several minutes.  I never did hear or see the squirrel, but saying the word a few times in their midst kept their eyes focused on the possibilities above. 

During the mid-afternoon I set off on my usual photo-exploring drive.  This one took me down Lakeshore Drive where I stopped off at the old fish hatchery, now discovery center.  

Doug Bopp was out plowing for the Southside Water District, and he gave me the blessing to walk down closer to shore to capture a few shots.

I drove on, with plans to do the Lakeshore Drive, HWY 2 loop, but when the camera battery died at a lovely old barn, I turned around and came home, quite satisfied that this January day had been a beauty. 

And, to top it all off, the ZAGS won big last night.  

Looks like another lovely day ahead, and no more worries about animals getting caught under roof avalanches. 

Happy Friday. 

No comments: