Thursday, January 08, 2015

Comes a Story


Every once in a while, along comes a story that sets itself far apart from what seems to have become mundane in our world of news:  terrorism, plane crashes, scandals, sex abuse, negligence, racism, etc. 

In the midst of endless, often over-the-top coverage of all of the above, such stories shine because of the personalities involved and the care and passion taken in telling the story.

Longtime CBS reporter Lesley Stahl and her staff produced such a piece for this past Sunday's "60 Minutes."

Now, as a journalist, news junkie and lover of a great story,  I love "60 Minutes."  In fact, folks around me know not to disturb me while I'm watching virtually any segment on this Sunday night news magazine. 

It's safe to say that "60 Minutes" might even outrank the 6th-place ZAGS in maintaining my full attention. 

On Monday, when I saw a post on Facebook reminding viewers of Sunday night's story called "Alive and Kicking," I felt compelled to comment:  the best "60 Minutes" segment I can ever remember. 

Now, granted if I were to sift through all the material presented over the years by this long-running program, maybe I'd find a segment that I liked better, but for now this one deserves a "best ever" status. 

The two-part feature provides a mixture of a positive vision, a good dose of feel-good stemming from unbelievable and sometimes untapped talent, several compelling individual anecdotes along with very satisfying and happy endings to questionable beginnings.  

Plus, the story line keeps viewers transfixed by saving the best for last, especially when it seems on several occasions that nothing could top that tale. 

So, if you haven't seen the story and, in the interest of taking your mind away from the disturbing memories of yesterday's horrific event in Paris, I've provided the links for Part 1 and Part 2 of Lesley Stahl's phenomenal piece.  

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/alive-and-kickin-part-one/

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/alive-and-kickin-part-two/

And, when you're finished watching, I hope you'll spend some time googling another story I read yesterday which totally took my mind off from the events in Paris. 

It's a story about the Pope and the Philippines and the traffic-control people (2,000 of them) and diapers.   That's all I'll tell you.  Go find it and read "the rest of the story." 

Guaranteed to tickle your funny bone. 

For me, this one definitely provides an answer to a question I've long pondered as a person with overactive innards:  what do those people of the senior set who have to stand or sit at public events in front of cameras for hours do when nature calls?

Finally, GO ZAGS!  Big night tonight at McArthey Athletic Complex with the ZAGS taking on San Francisco.

No comments: