Saturday, January 03, 2015

We Might Eat Laurie Tonight . . . .



Bill has packages of pulled pork and ribs thawing out on the kitchen counter.  I'll go to the grocery store a little later this morning to buy the trimmings for the last segment of our two-plus-week family marathon feasting run.  

After tonight, we'll take a break from calorie-filled spreads of meats, sauces, chips, relish trays, salads, cookies, pies, sweet breads, candies and carrot cake.

Yes, for the past two weeks, Laurie has mentioned that carrot cake, which has gotten a lot of mileage since its first purchase back in October.  We've had it for dessert a couple of times in the past two weeks, and there's still more left to eat. 

Barbara told me last night that she would get that loaf of Mennonite cream banana bread which I left at their house a few days ago out of the freezer one more time.  

I purchased it from the Bread Basket Bakery in Bonners Ferry before Christmas, and the loaf has traveled in and out of my freezer a couple of times.

I took it over to my sisters' house for one of our Gonzaga game feasts, and it sat on the their counter with nary a slice consumed.  

Happily, I was able to slip out of their house with my Christmas dinner sweet potatoes and wine and beer bottles before my sisters noticed that I'd left behind the banana bread. 

It's kinda become a game among us to escape each other's homes withOUT taking all the food we brought for the many feasts we've had over this holiday season. 

Well, the banana bread will come back over here tonight, and I'll probably get out the last of my Christmas cookies AND it's possible we may see that carrot cake again.  

I heard last night, while we were stuffing our faces at Sweet Lou's, that the oft-mentioned turtle pie was consumed the night of Barbara's birthday after we had taken the trip to the Amber Bear Inn and gorged ourselves on yet another filling meal. 

So, no turtle pie at our house tonight BUT that mixed berry pie Bill bought about two months ago from Schwans will definitely come out of the freezer for tonight's dessert offerings.  There's a Schwan's pumpkin pie in the freezer too.

On Thanksgiving Day, I had two Schwan's pumpkin pies and the mixed berry pie sitting on my dryer, just to make sure we had enough dessert. 

Twas at turkey dinner time when someone mentioned to me that those pies had to be baked, not just thawed.  

Well, thankfully, enough enough pies came to the house from guests that I never needed the Schwan's trio.  

So, without thought that the unbaked pumpkin pies had become kinda soupy after their thaw, I put one back in the freezer and the other in the refrigerator.  

Ya gotta be careful with an unbaked pumpkin pie cuz if it's not sitting completely level those brownish green innards could drip out all over everything in your refrigerator, just like those jars of jam with loose tops tend to do when you're stuffing that refrigerator beyond its capacity with all those holiday leftovers. 

We eventually ended up eating the soupy pumpkin pie, after I baked it, of course.  

So, today, with luck, the second pumpkin and the mixed berry (baked, of course) pies will get eaten sometime during the ZAGS game. 

Just to promote the unsavory thought of fasting for the next three months, I'm gonna put out a whole bunch of salad and maybe even some naked celery sticks to go with those ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, leftover sweet potatoes, the worn-out Christmas cookies, Costco candies and maybe even that carrot cake.  

I think we're finally down to the part of the sheet cake with the picture of Laurie sitting on her National Champion Sport horse Mani.  

So, it could be that we eat pieces of Laurie tonight, and she probably won't complain cuz then she'll have a jump on the rest of us in the weight-reduction challenge ahead. 

After tonight, any food that does not land in our stomachs will go into its final resting place and not the refrigerator or someone else's freezer. 

Let the starving begin!

GO ZAGS!

No comments: