Friday, April 17, 2015

Field Trips


The doggies and I have been taking a lot of trips to the hay field lately.  

The 2-acre rolling field west of the house is turning a rich green. 


Though there's standing water in some corners and in the swale that runs through it from northeast to southwest, the dry areas allow plenty of room for walking and thinking (that's me) and sniffing the ground, racing full speed ahead or just resting on a hilltop watching other dogs and people (that's the dogs). 

On my walks around and across the field, I'm usually just enjoying the fresh air, the sounds of various birds or watching the deer grazing in the next field over.  

At this time of the year, I also see work to be done----tightening fence wire along the edges of the field or evidence in the form of last year's horse piles or above-ground gopher dirt deposits which means harrowing.

Well, this morning when I take my walk, the need for harrowing will be eliminated.  Last night I hitched up the harrow to the 4-wheeler and spent about an hour going round and round the field.  

Someone spent that same hour going round and round the field, safely away but close enough to keep an eye on Mom as she worked.  




Yes, no matter what work I happen to be doing outside, I can scan the area around me and see little Foster keeping close track of my every move.

Loyal dogs, they say when talking about Aussies.  


So true.


Those rounds and rounds with the harrow on my evening field trip knocked down the gopher dirt mounds, spread 'em out and did the same for those horse piles.  Spread the apples and fertilize the ground.  Harrowing also loosens the soil a bit, allowing it to breathe better. Plus, spreading out those piles keeps grass from being smothered all spring and summer.




For me personally, harrowing and brush hogging give me a true sense of farming.  We don't do much real farming on our place, but these opportunities at least allow me to play the part.  

My field trips will continue until hay reaches about six inches high.  From that point on, nobody but the wandering deer and mice and gophers will travel through the area. And, then in the fall after hay harvest, a whole new playground will open up once again. 

For now, I'm enjoying the extra area to keep in shape and to encourage exercise among the aging mutts.  Miss Kea has some stiff joints.  She's been taking supplements for those joints, and I noticed last night that she's moving a lot better these days. 

One of the great enjoyments of my daily field trips came yesterday when I heard the telltale knocking of a woodpecker at work.  While listening and trying to determine from whence it came, I looked over and discovered that this was not just another woodpecker.

This busy Woodie was the big bird with the red head.  I had only my cell phone camera with me, and once I moved close enough to snap a couple of shots, doggies showed up and Woodie left the stump and flew to an upper tree limb in a nearby tamarack, which is just budding out with its beautiful needles. 


Later, I came out with my Canon camera and no dogs, but Woodie had left to create a better dinner table elsewhere.  He had also left behind a a crop of wandering ants, which were probably enjoying the spring sunshine as much as I was. 

Nice field trips, to say the least. Just one more wonderful perk that goes along with living on a farm. 

Happy Friday. 





No comments: