Thursday, April 16, 2015

Throwbacks on Thursday

This photo could possibly be a rerun on the blog, but what-the-heck.  We have movies, songs and books that we like to revisit.

That's how I feel about the moment caught with the camera.  It's actually on the wall, just the other side of my computer screen, and I look at it every time I leave this room.

For those unfamiliar, that's Willie and Annie circa 1979 during an era when I was shooting a lot of black-and-white photos and processing a lot of 8 by 10's in my darkroom inside the bunkhouse at our Great Northern Road farm.

Yup, Big Man and Little Precious were pretty darn precious in this shot.  By the way, that's their grandfather Harold's slightly "gently" worn straw hat.  Most of Harold's hats were gently worn.  

Annie has always given great attention to her feet.  That's something which never changes.  I believe this was taken on a bridge up the Moyie River.

Another "Ann" that I know is considered a friend, and this photo illustrates "that's what friends are for," as she arms up and aims toward a target.  The target was her "friend" Marianne in the dunking pool at the county fair.  I think she hit dead on cuz I remember getting kinda wet that day.  

I included this photo because it's Mandy Birks, now Smith at Colorado's Garden of the Gods back in about 1992.  Mandy was part of a group of journalists from Sandpoint High in Denver for the JEA National Convention.

This morning, a group of journalists/yearbook students from Sandpoint High are headed to Denver for another convention.  Mandy and her husband Steve (who was also on that 1992 trip) own a food truck in Denver.

Unfortunately, because of another  commitment, they were unable to serve the present group visiting Denver.  Still, it's a pretty neat circle of events. 

I always like photos where family members don't have gray hair.  My brother Kevin used to have really black hair.  This was taken on a trip we took several years ago to visit our Uncle Frenchy on the Washington coast. 

When I ran across this one, I had to include it in the "structures no longer standing" category.  This was the barn and surrounding buildings at what we called our Upper Place on Great Northern Road.

My dad sold that part of the farm to a man who raised Yaks.  He eventually moved elsewhere but took the barn apart piece by piece before leaving.  I loved that wooden silo, and I'm glad that some artist friends, specifically Judy Pederson, preserved the image on canvas.

Lots of good family memories at that place, including the really olden days when the Harney family ran a dairy there

Another Maryann, just spelled differently.  She hangs out with our family a lot and has for decades.  I think she's sitting on the back steps of our North Boyer home in this photo.  Maryann shares our family's love for horses and Gonzaga Bulldogs!

Sometimes it's the moment and NO GRAY HAIR.

We had our moment at a Winter Carnival parade a few decades ago when the world famous model Margeaux Hemingway came to town.  We rode on a flatbed with her through the parade, and she was, indeed, a kick!  

Marilyn Chambers in her bibs and Marianne in her baseball shirt, having a great time going for a cart ride at Marilyn's ranch on Selkirk Road.

We've had some great times together as families, with our common love for horses AND with the infamous magic friendship candle which we exchanged in different forms for more than 30 years.

Where the heck is that candle anywho?



Ah, the good times had by all in yesteryear.  Yup, it’s Thursday and time once again for some throwbacks.

While sorting through some of my photos this morning, I was struck with a very strong impression:  digital is nice.   Many of my old film photos would be deleted from my digital camera had I been taking them with current-day technology.

Now, they take up a lot of space and many are not very good.

I used to say that Eastman-Kodak had a good deal because they could sell the film and whatever quality showed up on the photo, the company still made money.  

And, if my collection serves as any example, they made a lot of money off from a lot of garbage photography.

But wait!  

Most photos mean something, regardless of quality----people in the group at a certain time, old structures that no longer exist, moments that happen just once in a lifetime.

So, maybe the term “garbage” is a little harsh, especially cuz my thousands will continue to take up space; let’s just say “less-than-National Geographic quality,” and leave it at that.


The photos above are certainly less than National Geographic quality, so please consider the content, not the quality.  Hope you enjoyed the tidbits to go with to go with today's selection. 

Happy Thursday. 

No comments: