Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pooch Visitors . . . Notes from Foster














Hi, 

Foster here.  

It's a wet and snowy day, and I've been curled up in the warmth of the house for most of the morning. I've spent some of that time thinking about yesterday and my new friends. 

Here's what happened.

It was a bright and sunny day.  I was basking in the warmth of the sunshine.  My mom came out of the house to go get the mail.

Usually I follow her down the driveway and usually she tells me to stay. But that sunshine felt so good, I just kept on resting. 

Soon I heard commotion out on the road.  

"Booker, don't go there," a human voice said.

Then, the voice told Booker there were dogs there and that was their home, "not yours." 

Behind the row of cedar trees, I could see two figures moving slowly on bikes and two dogs, moving not so slowly on their four legs.

I just had to get up to see what was going on.

"Foster, stay!" I heard my mom bark.

"Booker, that's not your place," another female voice back on the road announced.

"Foster, get back!"  My mom was getting pretty bossy and so was the lady out on the road.  
Suddenly, into the driveway came a curious dog, a handsome one too.  I figured that was Booker.

I couldn't believe it---my mom walked right up to that dog and welcomed him into the driveway.  Then, the two bikers---a man and a woman---and a smaller dog followed. 

Mom was still yelling at me to stay while being nice to Booker.  I didn't think that was nice so I just kept on moving down the driveway toward the crowd.

As I got closer, it seemed like Booker and "Puzzle," his female friend, looked kinda familiar.

Well, my mom and the lady talked and finally figured out that they knew each other and we knew each other, and all was just fine. Turns out, too, that Booker and Puzzle are Aussies, just like me. 

Booker and Puzzle's mom is a dog groomer, and she was the very first person to give me a full grooming here in Sandpoint.  

The lady asked my mom if she knew Robyn.  My mom didn't say anything, just called Kiwi and then proudly announced that Kiwi had come from Robyn's place when she was a pup.  

Everyone was all happy with all the connections, and all of us dogs got to get acquainted out there in "No dogs' land" at the end of the driveway.  

My mom never lets me out that far, but you know how it is when company comes. Ya get away with a lot more cuz they're so busy talking. 

The man was really nice too.  Turns out this couple was taking Booker and Puzzle for a run on the back roads, and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.

By this time, I was really enjoying myself cuz Puzzle was a girl, and she was my size. 

Older woman at 8 years old compared to my age of 3, but what the heck.  Pickin's for mini-Aussie friends are pretty slim around these parts. 

Besides, Puzzle seemed to really like me, and she sure was pretty. 

Eventually my mom said she wanted to take pictures, so she invited the visitors to come on in the driveway while she went inside to get her camera.  

That may have been when Puzzle discovered the bird feed sack just inside the garage door.

When Mom came out with her camera, we moved to the area south of the house where Kiwi had already been busy all morning, watching a squirrel taunt her from up a tree trunk. 

Kiwi and Kea went back to squirrel watching while Booker found a stick, and I raced and played with Puzzle.  

Occasionally, Booker, a rather large mini Aussie, interfered with our little get-acquainted party.  I ran him off a couple of times and let him know who was boss among the Aussies at the Lovestead.

In the meantime, the humans yak, yak, yakked, while us dogs raced in small circles and big circles and ran after sticks and brought pine cones for throwing and kept track of the squirrel.  

At one time, Puzzle disappeared.

Her mom said she probably had gone back to the garage to inspect the food availability.  I guess Puzzle likes to eat. At that moment, it kinda made me feel bad to think that Puzzle likes food better than she likes me. 

Well, her absence gave me an opportunity to get to know Booker better, and he's not all that bad. We're friends now. 

When Puzzle didn't come back when called, we all moved toward the garage.

Sure enough, she'd been in there munching on something, and she had slobber on her mouth. My mom thought it was probably the bird feed. Whatever it was, Puzzle was feeling pretty guilty as her mom held her up in her arms. 

My mom tried to get Puzzle to look right into that camera lens while she took a few pictures, but Puzzle's guilty conscience just kept getting the best of her and she just looked away with a hint of shame in her eyes. 

The human visitors then decided it was time for them to get back on their bikes and head on down the road.   We said good bye.  Mom instructed us to stay in the driveway, and they went on their way. 

Within seconds, everything was back to normal.  

I was soaking up sun, Kea was standing guard beneath the squirrel, and as the horses watched the visitors disappear down South Center Valley Road, Kiwi kept close watch on Lily and Lefty to make sure that they behaved.  

I doubt that the humans and the doggies will come by today cuz those great big wet snowflakes just keep falling, and I'm gonna probably stay curled inside for most of the day.

I know, though, that whenever I fall asleep, some of my dreams will include my nice new friends, Puzzle and Booker.  And that will be a good thing.  

Have a nice Tuesday,

Foster

No comments: