Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Sweet Spring Scene














For some, it's a monumentally historic day when the swallows come back to Capistrano. 

For me, the day the bees come back to Taylor's field across the road is pretty darned neat. 

They came early this morning from their winter home in Wenatchee, and I just happened to be outside walking the lawn with my camera when I heard a truck motor idling just down the road.  

As I walked closer and could see the headlights---still needed in the early-morning dawn---I smiled and yelled to the person getting out to open the gate.

"The bees are coming! The bees are coming!" 

She waved, and by that time, I was pretty sure it was Moriha.

I've known Moriha since she was a little tyke.  She's the youngest of the Leens (Kenny and Moreen are Mom and Dad), and now Moriha has kids out of high school. 

Moriha got into bees a few years ago and has successfully marketed her product around the community.  Unfortunately, she lost a major population of her personal bees and just has a few hives at her place in Sagle.

So, today she was delivering hives to their summer homes for Chad Moore, a beekeeper with a generation or two of beekeepers behind him. 

Chad's hives have resided every summer in Taylor's field, at least as long as we've lived here. 

I love those bees, and they're welcome at my house any time.  As a result of our proximity to this batch of bees, we usually reap the benefits of our trees and flowers providing perfect situations for busy honey bees. 

Every year, our neighbor Mary Taylor brings us a jug of that raw honey and we do love it.  

This year, with advice from my niece Laura, I've been taking a spoonful of the honey almost every day for the past several weeks.

She suggested that since that honey comes from our specific area, it might help build up some immunities from my annual allergy season itch.  I've experienced some episodes of the itch already, thanks to the early spring, but, so far, it seems manageable.  

I don't know if the honey is doing its thing to help me make it through itch season, but it's definitely a delicious form of medicine, and I do know that daily teaspoon isn't going to harm me in any way. 

So, this year I have a new appreciation for an already very welcome rite of spring.

Twas nice to visit with Moriha this morning, and it will be really nice to see the bees buzzing around over here once they get settled in Selle. 

Happy Wednesday.  How sweet it's gonna BEE!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) Hope it's doing its thing... My own immediate fam is being hit unusually hard with allergies this spring, so I need to find some local honey for us!
LL